Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Second Strabismus Surgery Today

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:21 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 128 Total Views
I have been meaning to make a post but I guess I was in denial. We saw Edyn's dr last December and he said she needed a second surgery. I cried for days. I knew her eyes looked bad but surgery is so severe. So here we are, getting up in four hours to drive into New Orleans for surgery. I obviously cannot sleep. I want this to be the last surgery. I want it to end here. But I know she will likely need another one as her eyes mature. I read that it is best to have it all done before age nine. After that the brain has a harder time adjusting. I do not want this as just a cosmetic fix but for her vision to be the best it can be. I will not pursue surgery without her consent after it no longer helps her to see better. I do not feel like it would be fair. Please pray for our baby girl's comfort. She will be four this summer and start school in the fall. I hope this will be the last surgery. And, as always, I pray for the advances in technology that could render repeated surgeries obsolete. I also pray for your sweet littles who wear glasses. I will try to update after we are settled at home tomorrow evening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Iluvmyshortcake
by Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Will be thinking of u. My dd has this same condition but she hasn't had surgey but we do eye drops and glasses. I pray this surgey goes good and they are able to fix any problems there are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CourtneyQualls
by Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Surgery went well. It will be another month until we see the dr again and find out how well it worked. Anesthesia was awful. She spit the happy cocktail all over the place, then they couldn't give her a shot to calm her because it causes eye twitching, and when she woke up afterward, she was fighting mad. She screamed, kicked, squirmed, and everything else. I felt so badly for the other people recovering after surgery, lol. I pray this is the last surgery we ever need but I know that at almost four years old, her eyes are still changing. Her far-sightedness had steadily improved so that alone is a blessing. Thank you for the well wishes.  

kellensmom
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I am just reading this now and hope to extend the wishes into recovery.  Bless her heart! 

Since this is her second surgery, you probably expected her rough reaction coming out of the ansthesia.  I experienced this with my oldest daughter who broke her arm at age 4. It is so hard on mom and dad when you can't sooth their suffering and fear. 

Please do update again.  I would love to hear that her vision has improved.  Many prayers until I get the good report!

CourtneyQualls
by Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Thank you! I was grateful that we knew what to expect. It is just so hard to witness. She has been awake some. Whiney and out of it still.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellensmom
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

This will be a trying week with all the medicine and the caution.  I am glad that you are doing this early though as we tend to lose memories at the age of 4.  She won't be near as traumatized by all of this in comparison to if she were having it done at age 7.  Once again, good luck with the follow-up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)