Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey, I'm Amanda & I'm new to the group...

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2008 at 8:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

We just found out last Thursday that our Avery, a.k.a. Lil' A has to have glasses. I was really surprised at the emotion that over came me when I got the news. I was just so upset. I cried all the way home. I guess I should start at the beginning...Avery was diagnosed with superior oblique palsy shortly after turning 7 months old & had his first surgery on his eyes May 25th of last year, the day before he turned 8 months old & the day before I turned 27. His 2nd surgery on his eyes was May 16th of this year. He's our baby. We only have two boys & don't plan on anymore children, pregnancy was hard on me both times. Our oldest boy will be 5 in November & Lil' A will be 2 in September. I think that in my mind the surgery was going to fix everything & he'd never have to deal with the 'burden" of glasses. I understand that he needs the glasses but I can't help but tear up every time think of it. I know that probably seems so silly but I'm also sure that as parents you understand that you only want the very best for you children. I started wearing glasses when I was 19 & I know there are days that I just hate to have them hanging on my face... granted I can't see a thing w/o them there are still those day. On that note I hope that he see's things so much more clearly that he enjoys wearing them (they aren't ready, so we don't have them yet). It was also very up lifting to see the pictures that some of you posted of your children in their glasses. They are all SO adorable!!! Well, thanks for reading my post. It was nice to be able to get it out where someone might understand all my crazy mixed emotions. When we get Avery's glasses back I'll be sure to post his picture too. Maybe he'll be an inspiration to a scared & emotional mommy as your children have been to me.

embarrassed

by on Sep. 1, 2008 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mom2daviddrake
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2008 at 11:36 PM

I understand I got to put glasses on my 6 month old...I was having a hard time with it and my mom said would you rather the world see his eyes or his eyes see the world? that took alot of the heartache out of it...I still am sad but as long as he can see I will be happy! good luck with your lil A !!

ajsls
by Member on Sep. 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Thanks! smile mini

RachelsMuma7
by Member on Sep. 4, 2008 at 8:15 AM
Great, can't wait to see the little man with his "specs"!! It will be fine :) My daughter loves hers!!
ajsls
by Member on Sep. 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM

I hope Avery loves his too...

coolmom2004
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM

I just would like to say thank you also. I just found out today that my 4 year old daughter needs glasses also.  I am feeling kind of bummed out about the whole thing.  she on the other hand is so excited about about going to get them after school tomorrow. 

Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)