Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Accomodative Esotropia & Scratched Lenses ***One final update in replies!***

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 749 Total Views

My daughter Edyn was diagnosed with this last January. She has had glasses since the day she made 7 months and is 14 months old now. She goes to the doctor tomorrow and I am beyond worried. I have been noticing her eye still turns in with her glasses on. Did anyone else have this happen? I am wondering if they will alter her prescription or reconsider surgery.

Also, her lenses have been getting scratched alot. If I take her glasses in to where I bought them, can they fix them there or will they need to send them off? And will it cost a fortune? I realize this is all dependent on where I got them but I am just looking for someone who has experience with this. When we got her glasses initially it took a week for them to come in but I think it is because they didn't have the frames in stock in her size.

I appreciate any responses, I am just so worried that tomorrow her doctor will say it has gotten worse instead of improving. Here is my angel in her glasses.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Codaflower
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM

I'm new at the whole glasses thing my daughter just started wearing hers in July. As far as the scratched lenses the place I go I have a 1 year warranty on her glasses if they break or get scratched, but she said with the scratch it is a 1 time thing so if I do bring them in its best to wait until she has a bad scratch or damage before using the warranty. I dont know much about your daughters condition but my daughter has an astigmitsim in both her eyes and her left eye is lazy but at her last appt the Dr. checked her out and told me that both eyes are not straightening out so she is going to need surgery to fix the muscles in her eyes so they are straight. He said it is a type of surgery that is done all the time it is an out patient type of surgery so she will be in and out the same day. So all I can say is I wish you luck with your appt tommorrow and I hope the dr can put you at ease with whats going on with your daughter and dont be afraid to ask a lot of questions cuz I know I did. My daugher goes in October 8th for the surgery and I know that I am feeling a bit anxious about it but what mother isnt when it comes to our kids we only want the best . (I hope I was of some help)

P.S. You little girl is adorable.

CourtneyQualls
by Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Thanks codaflower! I hope the surgery goes well!!

Edyn's dr said her far-sightedness looks good but the muscle has tightened more. She is having the surgery next Wednesday, the 16th. Her dr said that she is developing another condition also and that he can fix it during surgery too. I can't pronounce it and I forgot to ask for a pamphlet about it. He said she might need surgery later for this new condition since it is in the early stages of showing up. He has a 95% success rate with cutting the muscle though so hopefully this will be the end of that particular problem. AND he said that after her surgery he expects her to need a lower prescription for her eyes. I have high hopes but I am sick at the thought of her being put under anethesia. Please say a prayer that all goes well. 

Codaflower
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Thoughts and prayers for you and your daughter. Let me know how the surgery goes and how your daughter did with it cuz it sounds like the same type of surgery Zoe needs.

Codaflower
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Hey there I just wanted to check in on you and your daughter and see how the surgery went. I hope everything went well :-)

CourtneyQualls
by Member on Sep. 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Edyn had her surgery yesterday. They put her to sleep with some gas before they started her IV. That made me feel so much better, I was worried about her fighting them and being scared. I wish I could have been there when she went to sleep but I couldn't be. I think they had her back there about an hour total before I saw her again. When we went back she was in recovery and they were holding her. She was very cranky, which they say is normal when they come out of the anesthesia. They gave her tylenol with codeine and she slept for a while in my arms in a rocking chair. She would wake up, fuss, try to get out of my arms, then go right back to sleep. She had blood-tinged tears and wanted to rub her swollen eyes. It was rough to watch her in discomfort but I was so relieved to see her moving and okay. My little trooper! We stayed back there for about an hour. She smiled when we got her into her carseat and drank some gatorade and I felt soooo much better. We live about 45 minutes from the hospital so she slept on the way home. She slept in her crib for a while too. Then she she woke up fussy, it was time for her to have some regular tylenol, so I gave her that. She wouldn't let me lay her back down so I held her while she slept. When she woke up later we got her started drinking more gatorade. They told us the more she drinks, the quicker the drugs would be out of her body. My mom, sister, and I all get very nauseous from anesthesia so I worried about that. She was given meds during surgery to lessen her chances of getting sick and they worked. She had some jello and kept it down so I fixed her some food an hour later. She ate okay and then played. Today her eyes are still swollen and red and bloody but she is back to normal. I gave her tylenol once when she started messing with her eyes an she hasn't touched them other than that. She has played and giggled like nothing happened. Children are just resilient! She has bounced back like I never imagined. I have to give her a drop in each eye 3 times a day until about Monday and she hates me for it. She fights me and it breaks my heart. The fear of an infection outweighs my heartbreak though so I fight back. I am blessed with a family that has helped so much. The nurses were amazed at all the family who drove just to be there for Edyn. I was too. The Lord gave me such a calm relief all day. I just knew I would cry and be a mess but he wrapped me in a wonderful reassurance. I am grateful and I can't wait to post pics of her straight eyes!! Here she is after we got home and she woke up to eat and play. Excuse the blood around her eyes, I didn't want to irritate her by cleaning it off just yet. You can see they are swollen a good bit. Oh, and her Daddy went out and bought her a new toy and her grandma sent her some new books for being such a big brave girl.

CourtneyQualls
by Member on Oct. 1, 2009 at 3:21 AM

Edyn's eyes are still crossed and it has been two weeks since the procedure. This means that when she sees her doctor on the 15th he will want to do the surgery again. I am sick to my stomach. I am full of so many emotions. I am angry that she is too young to understand any of this. I am grateful that it is only her eyes and not her brain or heart that needs to be operated on. I just wanted it to work the first time and for her to never have to deal with it again. Thanks for reading this!

Iluvmyshortcake
by Member on Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM

my  daughter was 18 months when she got glasses she is almost 5 she has the same eye condition so far no surgey as for glasses we havent to many problems except just wear and tear her eye dr fixing them for free for like a yr i think

CourtneyQualls
by Member on Mar. 4, 2011 at 2:49 AM

So I realized I never updated this a final time. When I took Edyn for her check up after surgery (more than a year ago) the doctor said that she actually had straight eyes. He said that it is common for some kids to look cross eyed when they aren't. It is Psuedo Strabismus I believe. Basically the skin on her inner eye extends out. I was just very happy to find out that she did not need another surgery.

Here we are now and her eyes have been slowly crossing (we saw the dr back in November). Her dr said she still does not need surgery right now and we will just check it at the next appointment. The good news is that her far sightedness is improving so she got new lenses as well as new glasses. We are on our fourth pair now! She is a rough little girl! Hahaha! I know there is a chance that she will need surgery again but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Here are some new pics. In the third one you can see her eyes turning.

Iluvmyshortcake
by Member on Mar. 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Do you get the glasses w the cable wire behind the ears those worked great for my daughter when she was younger. My daughter had to get bifocals cause now her farsightness is better she has so nearsightness. We do drop twice a week instead of patching now too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CourtneyQualls
by Member on Mar. 4, 2011 at 1:05 PM

We had some with the cable wire but these are bent pretty good and stay on very well. I like them very much and so does she.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)