Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone ever feel this way?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 670 Total Views

I sometimes get the feeling that I am the only person who can do my kids' hair!!!!!! The paternal grandmother uses products that are too heavy and greasy and the maternal grandmother (my Mom) doesn't understand that they need exta moisture....SO FRUSTRATING! I like for them to visit with their grandparents, but I cringe at the sight of their hair when they come home. I've tried providing them with the products that I use and instructions...but to no avail.

So, am I the only one who goes through this?

by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liljaz4real
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Yep same here my daughter would only be with my mother so that's the white side. And she does not know anything about biracial hair well my DD hair is more European anyway but you have to pick it out and put some leave in in it to define the curls other than that it would be more straight but sticking up. But my mother just leaves it as she woke up it's short anyway but still if she leaves it like that it's a  mess is just flat and sticking up. I hate it too if anybody else does my daughters hair. They don't know!

sawakc
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I agree!!  My mom (with much help from my little sister) does an ok job on Mia's hair, but doesn't really use enough product.  When she goes to her other gma's she comes home with hair totally saturated in some funky grease that smells awful and gives me a headache!

samiam86
by Group Owner on Dec. 20, 2009 at 2:01 PM

You are nottt aloonnne! lol.

But really, SAME issues you have. My hubby's aunt tried to brush my sons curls one day, needless to say BIG BIG BIG POOF BALL!!!

And all my family wants to do is put grease in his head! 

kalikona
by on Jan. 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I dont necesarily have that issue because im the only one who has ever done my dd's hair but I am biracial and my mom didnt have a clue what to do with my hair. So she already know she isnt allowed in my daughters hair which i dont think she minds lol. My husbands side of the family always trys to get me to put alot of grease in my daughters hair...so if she is going over there I braid her hair the day before so they have no reason to take her hair out, grease it up and tell me that it needed to be redone. Im nervous though because im joining the military and will be leaving for basic training and my husband doesnt have the slightest clue how to do a simple pony tail...in fact last time I took her hair down and washed it I let her run around with her hair out. My husband grabbed a pony tail holder and tryed to put her hair up, she had a FIT!!!! She was screaming and thrashing (she never does that for me) so im assuming she may turn out to be sensitive about who does her hair. But i have had to sit down and discuss everything with my SIL for when I leave...her hair care routine and how I do NOT want her hair drenched in grease. A little is alright if she braids it but other than that its not necessary. If she doesnt want to follow the hair care rules than keep the fingers out her hair LOL

BaisMom
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Absolutely!

I was in the hospital at the end of 2008, for two weeks. The first thing I did when I got home, after hugging my daughter to pieces of course, was DO HER HAIR! It was awful. I was living with her dad and his family at the time. They'd seen me do her hair a million times, I'd tried to talk them through what I was doing, show them etc BUT NO!

Now that he and I are over, one of my concerns about custody is that he won't be able to take care of her skin or hair. He throws and says "it's not a big deal!" Ummmm yes it is! It's about hygiene and appearance and that stuff is important. Hair is SUPER important, especially to little girls. And he thinks he's going to have my daughter walking around looking like she stuck a knife in the toaster?! HELL TO THE NAW!

Young and single. Call me a statistic if you'd like, it doesn't change the fact that I am a smart, strong, and confident mother. There are also a number of other things that you might not like about me: I breastfed AND formula fed. My daughter is on a delayed vax'ing schedule. I had a c-section. Organic food is nasty. I don't spank, but I do whoop ass. I let my daughter get hurt and make mistakes, I want her to learn through experience, it's the best way. I am an Atheist, my daughter has never been to church nor read the bible. I don't believe that I need to look to a "god" to have morals. I believe in reason, science, the Earth, and I believe in PEOPLE. Despite my heathen ways, I have a pure heart <3 and my daughter is healthy, smart, happy, beautiful, and loving; and she knows she's loved.

Ammie25
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I have the same problem! I have curly hair myself, and my mom would just keep it as short as possible to avoid having to deal with it.

Now with my son...oh my goodness! I am lucky his hair isn't real dry or brittle, because if it was, he would be a mess after a night with her!

With my son, I think I am better off keeping his hair short, so if it's not cared for exactly the way it needs to be (by others), it still looks ok. When I used to have it 4-5 inches long, he would look like he stuck his finger in a light socket after one night with Grandma.

mosaickathy1
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM

are there any natural products or even store products that we can use on our granddaughters hair, we have 2 beautyful grand girls, one looks just like jada pickett, and her hair is fine although curly but feels like a white persons hair. easy to mange sometimes, our other grnadbaby's hair is more course and difficult to manange, its almost heart breaking to wash her hair, because we all know its going to be hell brushing it, cant manage it either, no matter what we do, with in the hour its all puffy and poofy and everywhere. they are 3 and 4. when there hair is straightened out, omg its very long, when its not, its looks very short .. help!!!!!

kyiahsmommy
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM

no my mom does the same thing, she trys though maybe you should do your kids hair before they go over there and tell them to leave it in or just let your kids rock the fro. its good to let it breathe

tmestes2003
by Member on Jan. 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Yeah I feel like that. I'm the only one that can style it and make it look nice. I guess cuz I'm the only one who does it most of the time. It's gettin better now since her hair is much longer, but b4 it was terrible. No one knew what to do w/it.

My mom doesn't live in the same state as me so I dont have to worry about her gettin her hands in her head. She used to mess me up when I was younger. My nick name was Alfalfa at one point cuz she would put so much grease (African Pride at that)  in my hair that my ponytail stuck straight up lol. I was so glad when I was 12 and she let me do it on my own, and I'm so glad that I know how to do hair so my child wont have to suffer like that.

esper_d
by on Jan. 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM

LOL I don't feel that way because I hardly use products in my son's hair. I either just brush it and make it an afro or leave it be and it's curly. It's so easy to maintain.

Lately I have told my mom to not cut it though (cuz she is his barber, and I let her before, many times) because now I want him to have an afro. Plus, my mom has had a son who's 1/2 Black even before I had mine. I got her to stop using the pink stuff on my brother, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN