Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Friendly Parks

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:13 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 512 Total Views

I have a 17 month old who is just starting to walk. I also have a 10 week old. I live near a park that has no baby swings or  little slides. I can't climb all over the place with Maya because of baby Autumn.  I plan to "park hop" this summer with the girls. Can everyone suggest parks that are toddler friendly? I'll start:: Perry Park in Portage.

coffeeMarried to Kevin

Mommy to Maya and Autumn

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mazzyk
by Member on May. 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Dunes Park in Chesterton, its over by the middle school. 

StampVamp
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Kudos to you for taking your little ones to the park by yourself! My kids are 13 months apart and I just waited until my husband came home b/c it was a bit too much for me. You're going to be in amazing shape by summers end. Do you sling your baby?

Here are the best parks I can think of at the moment to suggest for you (all have baby swings):

O Woodland Park, Portage (2 parks for little and older kids, it's nice to walk around, and they have events and classes there)

O Lake Station Park, Lake Station on route 51 just south of Central Ave. There's a giant water tower you can't miss from the road. Nice park b/c there's a guard rail all around it, not so busy parking lot. Again, 2 playgrounds and lots of room to run around. Also, lots of walking space. There's an archery station down the lane by the creek, fun to watch. Also, there's a pool with slides and lots of fun when you are all ready for that.

O Miller Beach, Gary, IN - Park on the Beach by the Aquatorium. Great park! Multiple playgrounds,  a wooden car to play drive, a wooden log house they can run around in, again lots of room to run around and walk. There are parking spots along the park that are free, however, in the summer they go fast. Otherwise, you have to pay to park at the ajoining beach parking lot, it's a couple of bucks. On the other hand, you can plan a beach outing and go to the park too. :) There's a really nice new cafe that opened right there too (Lakeside Cafe).

O Washington Park Zoo, Michigan City - This is a great place to spend the day. Again, you have to pay to park $6 for the whole day. However, you're right at the beach, the zoo, the playground, and the new Splash Park. If you become a member of the zoo you get i think 6 free parkings. It's a great zoo for little kids, b/c it's small you are in and out in a reasonable amount of time without trekking all over the world. Plus, the kids love getting to know the animals and remembering where they are. There's a playground in the zoo, but it's for about 3 and up. There's a petting zoo and they can feed the goats and the birds(avian adventure). There's a playground at the beach one for little kids and one for older ones. The Splash Park is really awesome! It's a fenced park with a dozen giant "park" sprinklers! It's again perfect for little kids b/c you don't have to worry about them swimming, but they all the fun of being wet. There's a giant fence all around it so you don't have to worry about them running off or if someone's luring b/c there's only one entrance. It's $1 for Michigan City residents and $3 for IN residents.

Hope these are helpful! Maybe we can meet up sometime together. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)