Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 ADHD Children, one with ADHD and ODD taking Abilify

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 2610 Total Views

I'm a 26 yr old married mother of two...with ADHD five and under. Just this week my 4 year old son was also diagoised with ODD. I'm also a college student seeking my teaching degree. I also an the full time care taker of my great-grandmother with Alzheimer's. (Sadly I had to place her in a nursing home for no longer to care for her when her diease progressed.) Most of all my husband works out away from home mostly.To say my boat is full is an understatement. Most days I feel like a single mom.

Anyway, The ODD diagonis was not quite a shock but still scarey. You see oth of my children as destructive, defiant, aggressive, hard-headed, bossy, over all not easy to be around. I had hope for a long time it was just the terrible twos carrying over. Last year when we place my daughter (then 4) on Concerta most of the behavior problems dissappeared along with the hyper active, impulses and attetion problems. I was amazed. My son (then 3) was another story. We tried medication after medcation with little to no relief. Finally my peditrican refered us to a child psychologist. We first met with him a month ago. I had long since learned at any appointemtn to bring along another adult to entertain or basically handle my son. In small rooms like doctors offices he can act like a caged animal and be completely disruptive to the point to where the doctor and I can not discuss anything. At this 1st appointment My husband cae along to handle my son. My daugther was well entratined with her coloring book and caused no trouble. I seriuosly think the Psychatrist though I was exagerating my sons behavior. Since he seemed reasonable calm. (He had his daddy's full attention, though) THe Psychatist suggested we lower my son's dose of vavase to 30 mg and contine the .1mg of Clondine. This was to help him sleep better and night and hopefully help with the mood swings. I was doubtful, but did what he suggested. My daughter was to continue18 mg of Concerta.

Well the last 3 weeks were horrible. He was uncontrolable. Aggressive, hitting his teachers, myself, his sister completely unprovoked. He was not sleeping at all. He was having 2 to 3 hours melt downs daily.  Breaking everything in sight.Basically he was back to his old self prior to medication. (Understand I do not want a zombie child. I am seeking help for my child so that he can learn what is expected at his age, currenlty he is delayed academically and has a speech imdidement. If he can not focus he will not be able to learn the speech therapy to help his speech or not be able to learn his letters and colors to maintian academics expected at his age. Plus it would be nice if he didn't destroy the house, his toys, his sisters toys, break windows, all those descrutive behaviors that he normally does.)

So we atteneded his appoitment last thursday with Pschiatrist. It was a bad day for my son. His melt down started getting out of the car going into the office and continued for almost 2 hours. The Doctor added ODD to my son's diagonis and recommeneded 5 mg of Abilify once nightly. We were to give him half a pill for 7 days and then the full dose for the ext 7 days at the end of the 2 weeks meet with the Pyschatrist to disscuss side effects. I asked a million questions about the Abilify and the side effects. I was informed it is not FDA approved for 4 year olds. This made me very ify about giving this medication to my child. He also increased the vavanse to 50 mg and told me to continue the .1mg of Cloidine. I read all the side effect literture given to me by the Pharmacist.  Well on the paper work I was given tremors were not listed as a side effect for Adults or Children. After 3 doses my son is having tremors. Not small tremors pretty bad tremors. At first I thought he might be cold. I realized he wasn't cold he was was shaking. I found a few websites that listed tremors as side effects for Children. I was wondering if anyone else had a child on this medication and had had this side effect. Is it common....or extreme?

by on Feb. 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
kimber6337
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Hi, I just goggled and found your post here.  My son, who just turned 7, was just added on Abilify.  He is ADHD and ODD, diag at 4.  He is on Ritilian 10/mg 2-3x a day and 1/2 tab .01 Cloidine. He is going to start taking liquid Abilify..but the dr removed him from the Cloidine.

I hope your son is doing well now, but for his age and what the dr has told about with my son I almost would be afraid that keeping the Choidine onboard with Abilify was too much.

I hope you post an update, I would be interest to see how this has worked for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)