Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, I'm Michelle. My 9 yr old has ADHD. I also homeschool her. I'm struggling with teaching her because of how she acts. It's hard for her to hold focus. I was curious if there were any moms on here who homeschool as well and had any advice on how to approach this. I know there are different things I can do to help my daughter. I just don't know what they are, nor have I been able to find anything useful.

Thanks!

by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BritRose
by on May. 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I am considering homeschooling my son who we are pretty sure has ADHD and possibly sensory processing disorder (in the process of diagnosing).  He is only 4 and is currently attending Head Start preK, but they wanted him to move on to Kindergarten next year and he is not emotionally/socially ready, mainly because of his behavior problems.  Im afraid I dont have any techniques to suggest, but I was wondering if you have ever tried dietary changes?  The reason I ask is that last summer my mom talked me into trying him on a gluten free diet.  I almost gave up after 2 weeks, because it is quite an adjustment, but I read that it can take up to 3 months for gluten to work out of the system (lactose is only 3 days).  After a month, I tried one "normal food" day and OMGOSH!!!  24 hours later you would have thought somebody had given him a 2 litre bottle of JOLT!!!  He was litterally jittering!  Of course I thought it could have been a fluke, so I did it for another 6 weeks and then he accidentally got Chex mix and Fruit Loops at vacation Bible school...   ummm yeah, next night we had to call daddy to come get him.  He made our regular babysitter, who was specifically there to help Him, cry!  I know it doesnt work for everybody, but it helped some for us.  Just a thought.

somuchlove4U
by on May. 23, 2011 at 8:01 AM

No I haven't thought of deitary changes. I will have to give that a try. Thanks! Good luck to you!

Elise_Gurrola
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:01 PM
I want to quote both of you. I am foing through the same thing with my 9 yr old ds. I dont home school but he flunked the third grade and i am trying to tutor him this summer. He has not been diagnosed because we live in a small town in mexico and the closet doc is 2 hrs away. Where do i look up that diet? And if you get ideas with your dh let me know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)