Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Here and have questions

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 212 Total Views

I'm not even sure I'm in the right group.  I am a middle aged woman...sigh...with a younger sister...a few years younger than me...and we are estranged.  To make a long story short, she's shown signs of being bi-polar or even schitzo for years.  And my entire family makes excuses to cover her behavior.  She has made some decisions that have affected her life in the long run and seems to not be able to keep a job for more than a year before she looses her temper and mouths off and gets fired.  On Father's Day, she became very violent against me the second I walked in the door.  She literally attacked me and ruined Father's Day for my entire family...in front of her own daughter, my brother's children and my boyfriend's daughter.  I had not even had time to say hello to anyone.  Now, she's writing letters to my mother telling her that she's going to sue me for everything I have and that she's going to get my children taken away from me. She has attacked my business this year and cost me a large bit of income.  My mother says to ignore her, which is fine, but how do I continue to ignore and stay away from someone who actively seeks to harm me. 

I have literally avoided her for years.  I don't talk to her, I stay away.  She's been toxic for me for years and I prefer to stay away.  Without the support of my family (Who is in denial about her issues) there is no way to get her help.  But for me, there is no way to ignore it any more.  This situation needs to be addressed.  Her temper and inablity to control herself is out of control. 

I don't know what to do.  I'm a strong intellegent woman, but am at a complete loss. 

Any thoughts or advice would be so appreciated!

Sistersrhard

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
emarin77
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM

That sounds like bi-polar.  The frustrating part of mental illness is that you cannot directly get help for them.  The person with the illness needs to acknowledge the disorder and ask for help themselves.  I would talk with your sister and see how she is feeling and be a support for her.  You as her sister can start seeing a therapist too to learn how to deal with your feelings. 

Sistersrhard
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

She won't talk to me.  Just harrass and try to destroy me and even assault me.  She is constantly attacking me on the internet and in person if we see each other.  She bothers my parents about me as well.

She's made some bad decisions in her life and seems to blame it all on me.  I think it's because despite my bad decisions, my life is good.  And she's ... stuck...

I was thinking of writing her an official letter she has to sign for at the post office with an official cease and desist bend to it.  Just something.  If she doesn't want to get herself help...fine...but leave me alone! 

emarin77
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM

You can discuss this more in the depression group.  One thing I will say is do not take anything wrong she says, personally, it is just her illness and her loss of confidence in life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)