Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduction and Bipolar daughter

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 114 Total Views

My name is Martha and I am the mother of a 16 year old daughter and a 14 year old son. It is quite possible my daughter has bipolar. We saw a therapist last week and she was pretty certain it was bipolar. We are waiting to get in to see the psychiatrist, however that is not until the end of March. In the meantime, how do I help my daughter cope with her depression and manic state enough to be productive in school? I am not sure I want to get an IEP for her, however I do want to let her teachers know what is going on.

I joined this group for support and advice. I am at a loss on how to help my daughter. Thanks.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ForMyDaughters
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Wow! I was logging on to talk about my bipolar daughter as well. She is almost ten. I have been searching for answers and support (which there's never enough of) for years.. I feel you. It is so painful when you see them in a "manic" episode and have no control over it whatsoever... It has been tearing our family apart.

I have always been on the "naturopath" way with her, which one day (after coping skills and age allow) I plan on going back on... But its scary. Doesn't always work.. Not the easiest thing you can do. Have they chosen a medication for her?

If I can give any advice, this is what it would be:

She/ you and closest family need to get to the "core" of the issue... Way way way way back to the earliest memory of trauma. Even if this is something she may not remember. If and when found, you must be honest and willing and ready to accept it and lead her out so to speak, of the depression and anger she may be holding. 

Sugar makes it worse, and alcohol is the worst! It throws the ballance of your brain off and robbs your brain of lithium, which your brain needs. She needs to be aware of this and the damage it can cause. She needs to know you wont always be able to decide things for her. More education (after diagnosis and before) she has about it, the better.

You tube You tube you tube!!! Research and listen to others dealing with the same thing. I recommend anything from, Bipolarstateofbeing, and videos on natural healing. 

Dont beat yourself up and allow yourself time to laugh. Its gonna work itself out i promise. Just takes time.. 

I cant say i have the answers but i think through this we could be friends. We can talk and hold each other up...? Recently i faced the hardest decision of my life. Look for my post about my Madison. 

With love,

Bre

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)