Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice on my little boy....I'm desperate

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:32 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 274 Total Views

My son  is 5 years old and is a very defiant little boy.  He seems more defiant to me than others, and is definetly more defiant then my 7 year old ever was.  He can be the sweetest most loving little boy at times, and at others, its awful to say but I can hardly stand to be around him. ( I know how that makes me sound, so please don't judge me) He will kick others, hit, scream, spit, yell, say things to me like "I hate you."  He does not do that very often, but often enough to get to me.  I hate to take him places, he makes it so difficult.  He absolutely refuses to get along with anyone most of the time.  When he does its great, and he can play well when he chooses too, but he can turn on a dime and be so hateful and so mean.  I was wondering from you guys out there if sounds normal to you, and if not, what does it sound like and how do i go about having him checked out?  I love my baby boy so much, and I just want him to be happy.

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Misty_23
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:11 PM
Hey hon! I know how you feel I used to feel that way too about my son. Now I don't feel so lonely. How is your son's development. You could take him to the Doctors and tell them look this is an all the time thing basicly tell them thast he's a living night mare. I hope things get better for you. I'm sure know thinks bad of you some of us have been thier.
MOmomof8
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:23 AM

He sounds like my son when he was that age.  The doctor didn't want to help me until he went to school & the teacher started complaining about him.  Then the doctor wanted to put him on retalin.  I took my son to a mental health center & had him evaluated.  He was dx with ADHD, ODD, separation anexity (sp).  We tried different behavorial modifcations first which worked for awhile then we would have to change it around some.  I can share some of those with you if you want to try them.  Just know that it doesn't get better.  Don't let his self esteem get damaged, it's a hard job but it's really important.  Kids like my son & yours need a high self esteem to make it through life.  The secret is to find things he is good at & praise him for it, catch him being "good" & praise him for it.  When his behavior is how you like it to be, reward him right then.  Rewards are verbal, playing a game or doing something with just him, candy, whatever he likes & wants.

vipmom
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 11:46 AM
WOW!!!! Having him tested is good don't get me wrong..You have to find out what is making him tick...but what discipline actions are being done?..Sending him to his room and going to time is not the answer...He knows that he can do these with you and get away with them..You will back down....A dx does not excess behavior issue like that to me...Spitting on others is a big no,no to me...You can always send him to me and trust me he will be the child that you would not even know... Try role playing with him...Let him know how it fells for someone to spit on them, scream and so on...He is not too young....That is if you are not already doing this... I have a 10 yr old son that has "asperger" offical dx is pending...I have to use discipline actionS with him at times...It will not make you a bad mother so don't think that it would..You love your son and you want the best for him...But he has to realise that you will not allow him to continue to act this way with you and anybody else...He can't run your life to the point where you don't want to take him anyway.. I hope this helps..i will pray for you and your family...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)