Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boycott Stores Open on Thanksgiving

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 1112 Total Views

Corporate America has figured out a way of extending their holiday sales and boosting their bottom line by remaining open on Thanksgiving Day. Is this wrong on their part? Perhaps we have given them the idea that this is what we want or need to prepare for our own holiday season.

As time has evolved, the average American consumer has filled their daily schedules with so many commitments many actually feel they need the Thanksgiving holiday to do the necessary shopping for Christmas. Thus the stores have caught on and invented the Thanksgiving Day Extravaganza, selling certain hot items for perhaps only a few hours. There are even revolving sales during the day when the stores offer certain items at various times, this is to attract the shopper who may miss the first sale because of sitting down to dinner with the family.

Stores with delis have even taken to offering the whole Thanksgiving dinner already prepared. All the consumer has to do is warm the dinner up. Thus they come to the store to pick up the dinner and they will most certainly need other items to enhance their time with family and friends.

One can hardly blame a company for staying open as long as there is a demand for the business to do so. Plus a company can't operate without the staff manning the store hence people must work on Thanksgiving Day. Is it fair for people to have to work when others lucky enough to get the day off from their employer decide Thanksgiving is a wonderful day to shop? Probably not, but as long as there is consumer demand the stores will remain open.

With the economy taking a serious downturn and unemployment being at an all time high, one would think it would benefit companies to let their employees enjoy the day with their families. Instead, more companies will use fewer employees to cover the responsibilities of many. The time and a half pay, the employees earn, will be a drop in the bucket when the final daily receipts are tallied.

While not condoning the practice of stores opening on Thanksgiving Day, it is understandable in this day of competition, especially between the big box stores. What is hard to understand is how the shoppers in these big box stores can complain to the clerk behind the counter about the audacity of the stores to fail to give the clerks the day off. Surely they realize their shopping habits are the reason the clerk will have leftovers for dinner

As a mother of working teens in these stores I ask you to boycott these sales. When did Thanksgiving become more about Christmas and less about family. I have not had a Thanksgiving with my entire family for 5years because of Corporate American needing that extra dollar. Are the executives in the office "NO" why should the stores be open? Is it really worth it?  Boycott the big box stores and the greedy executives who seem to think it is a good idea.

angryVery frustrated.

by on Nov. 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TJFBGMommy
by New Member on Nov. 25, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I agree it's just wrong to have sales and such ON Thanksgiving and I most certainly will NOT be shopping for anything on that day.  Our local grocery store will be open, but it's just that, a grocery store that stays open on a very limited staff for people who forgot something or whatever, no big sales or anything.  Since it's just me and my kids for Thanksgiving and none of us like turkey or any of the "traditional" meal stuff.  We eat pizza, but I buy it the day before then reheat it in the oven.  Now it would certainly taste much better if we bought it and ate it while it was still hot, but I would never dream of even suggesting that a company stay open so that I could have my way.  GAH! Stupid corporate greed and selfish people, they're destroying the world and families.

tammie
bmom to Sky 14
slope wife to Jeramy for 12 years and counting
bed sharing, baby wearing, full-term breastfeeding, alternative schooling
mommy to J.J. 9, Fisher 6, Babette 3 and Baby Gesina due sometime in February
Auntie to Sarah 9, David 7, Xochitl 7, Emilia 4, Mairi 3 and Sean 1

Proud to be Union!  IBEW local 1547!

SEJ
by Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:30 PM

I have not been on this group site for a bit BUT MUST say that I NEVER shop Black Friday OR would even consider shopping on Thanksgiving!!!  It's WRONG!  So thanks for the post!  I'm beyond sick of the Retail Market...........guess we all are now given the state of our economy.  I really thought about what I was seeing in this years ads:  the SAME hype year after year.  The only stuff that changes is the technology but other than that MORE gloves, scarfs, pjs, slippers, kitchen gadgets that just clutter, blah blah blah.  And the toys have gotten so junky.

LOL 

akintogreen
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I agree that Thanksgiving should not just be another opportunity to shop. It should be about family time. But I do not think this is a simple supply and demand issue - or reason of why they are open. Check out more of my thoughts and reasons here http://akintogreen.com/blog/2011/11/22/thanksgiving-day-be-thankful-what-we-have-or-shop-what-we-want

thinkerarrived
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I've written to every store that has announced they will be open to protest.  Lord and Taylor's responded that they are a Canadian company, and therefore only follow Canadian holidays.  This, to me, is a ridiculous reply.  I am wondering how to get word out about what these companies are saying and doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN