Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to CafeMom...not to hip dysplasia

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:55 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 450 Total Views
Hi Everyone--
I am searching CafeMom for various groups that I find interesting. This group, though, is about a topic that I am more than experienced in. My daughter, Katherine, is 14 and has just had her LAST surgery. There is nothing more to do for her...but I think the last one may be the charm. After 13 years of doctor visits, surgeries, hospital stays, and pain (for all of us!), she is walking with the smallest of limps...really not even noticable. A quick history...diagnosed at 15 months (why it was missed for so long, we will never know). She had a complete dislocation and we proceeded with treatment that lasted much longer than we ever anticipated. She was in traction for 2 weeks...a closed reduction quickly changed to an open reduction...full-body spica...pelvic osteotomy...more spica...physical therapy, which was pretty bad at 18 months. Then we started the long wait. Finally, in 2004 she underwent surgery to place screws to keep the hip in place...the growth plate was dying, which was pulling the leg up and causing a leg-length discrepancy. Finally, in August 2007, she had surgery on the right knee to kill the growth plate, hopefully giving the left leg an opportunity to catch-up. They also went into the left hip to remove scar tissue and stretch the tendons and ligaments. Whew! The result was supposed to be a stoppage in her height, which was 5'0 at the time. Well, following surgery, she grew 3 inches, and her legs are the most even they have ever been! I guess even the best doctors can't predict everything! So...my point to all this is that if anyone has questions about your child's treatment, I may be able to help some. And if I can't, just know that there is someone out there who knows your fear...your confusion...and your struggle to make everything "all right" for your child. Hang in there!

Vicki :)
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
oldermomof5
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Hi that's about when mine was diagnosed. But I didn't have to go through what your daughter did. It was found in me when My mom went to change my diaper and the left leg was longer. Also she noticed at about that time I was limping just like my Dad. He had perthes so his left leg was shorter. At the time they just thought I was mimicking him.  They didn't know much back then so experimented on me. I caught it earlier in my Daughter only because I insisted something was wrong. Instinctively I knew this was carried down. Only until we found  great Doctor that he told me I was right. Up until then they were still blaming it only on breach birtths.

Visit my group http://www.cafemom.com/group/BumpyBonesMHE
ladysylpher
by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM

That sounds like a lot of stuff my daughter went thru too but shes 3 and is totally done with surgeries, etc unless it causes a problem later on when shes a teen or plays sports or whatever.

She was diagnosed at birth for having all 5 risk factors, inlcuding family history because I had it as a baby too. (Mine was caught at 6 months old, 1 week of traction in the hospital, closed reduction and spica cast for 6 months in 1983 on both my hips)

So she wore a pavlik harness for 6 months even tho we knew from day 1 she needed surgery. When she was 18 months old she had an open reduction on her left hip, they scraped out the scar tissue, had pelvic and femerol osteotomies and spica cast for 3 months.  A little over a year later, in July 2008 she had the metal in her hip/leg removed.  She was in physical therapy thru our states early intervention program called First Steps from the time the cast came off at 21 months til she was 3 years old. Now we are finally done done done unless problems occur later on.

Theres pictures and blogs and links on my page to all things hip displaysia.

(she didn't walk til 25 months old)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)