Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:59 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 450 Total Views

So I'm kinda new to this board i have never posted on here meaning the ADHD help!! So Here is alittle background for you!! My son is 7 1/2 and has ADHD and found out when he was 5 years old!! we did kindergarten 2 time since the first year we were trying to figure out his meds!! so here we are in 1st grade and he is taking Concerta 36mg's every day along with a 10mg of ritalin at lunchtime!! and after school of he needs it!! well we just went to the higher dose back in October and since he has been off!! just not able to keep his hands or feet to himself and just being overly aggressive to others!! well last night he decided it was ok to play with a lighter and started some papers on fire in his room while he was suppost to be sleeping it was 1245 when i woke up to the the smoke detector!! i ran into there room and my son grabbed a glass of water and poured it on it!! it went out thank god but now he has a hole in his carpet!! which really isn't the issue!!! i just want to know what do I do!! he seems to understand but at the same time he doesn't!! I told him he could of killed all of us!! and he just replies back ok... is it his meds or is it us!! I just dont know what to do!! he has an appointment on the 13 to meet with the psychologist that we have had the appointment set up 2 months ago to see him!!  do you think its his meds???? HELP ME!!! all i can do is cry :(

Lisa

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
eeyore13
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM

First of all, you are not alone.

Second, it may be the meds.  It can take a very long time to figure out the correct meds and dose.  It may also be something in his environment or what he is eating.  For example, my boys cannot have juice, fruit, or anything vitamin C before or within three hours of taking their med or the meds will not absorb into their body and are rendered useless.  They also cannot have M&Ms because that just makes them hyper w or w/o the meds.

Third, medication alone is not the answer.  If at all possible get to a counselor or shrink that has worked with ADHD.  Easier said than done, I know, we are still searching for a good shrink and we live in a major metropolitan area.

MaineMomx2
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM

You are certainly not alone!!  We have an 8 y/o son who our Dr. began watching at the age of 2 for ADHD!!  He was officially diagnonsed at 4 1/2 y/o  We have gone through many avenues and finally did meds at 5 1/2 after Kindergarten just wasn't going very well.    We started out with homeopathic meds, then went to Straterra, Ritaiin, and then Aderrall.  Ritalin made our son VERY agressive!  Not every child does as equally well with the same meds.  I also agree that meds alone don't always make the difference - in addition, we have also done occupational therapy, have a positive behavior support plan at school, have reward systems at home, have a 504 Plan for accomdations at school, and keep up with appts. to our psychologist.  Our son cannot have any high fructose corn syrup (it exaccerbates his ADHD symptoms); he is also intolerant to dairy (we discovered this at 1 month old).

It has been a long haul and I certainly understand how you are feeling (I have done my fair share of crying too).  It took me a long time to realize that I did not cause the ADHD (he also has sensory issues and anxiety) but rather all the steps we were taking was with his best interest at heart.  We are now in the process trying to figure out if our almost 6 y/o son also has attention issues or if some of his things are learned behavior from his brother but we are now getting reports from school that he has trouble focusing, staying in his seat, etc. (its kinda discouraging as I sometimes feel like we have "messed up" another child); we love them both and I wouldn't trade them for the world :)  Hang in there!  This Board has certainly helped me both with strategies for our son and for me emotionally.

tysmom1313
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Lisa,

It is a long road and will continue to be a struggle, because as I have been dealing with this for ten years now, it always seems like something comes up or needs to be worked on. I have known there was something wrong with my son since he was two, and he was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, when he was 3. I tried everything but meds until he was 8, he has been on meds for two almost three years now. It can definitely be the meds, if it is too much medication it can make your son aggressive. Concerta is like speed, if there is too much children can get aggressive. I recently upped my son from 36mg of Concerta to 54mg and he was seriously aggressive and angry after about a week and a half we opted to go back to 36mg and change some other things first, if that doesn't work we will look at another medication like Focalin. Also I have my son in therapy once a week, it definitely helps him. My son has major problems with dealing with emotion, he has never learned empathy or has very little, and can not even be joked with because he just doesn't get it. He thinks you are making fun of him not having fun. I know how hard it is I have been fighting his school since kindergarten to keep him in the inclusive classroom. It is a lot of work, I even go to therapy too just to stay sane, which I would Definitely reccomend. If you need any help I will definitely help you, you are not alone, I know exactly how you are feeling.

Dena

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)