Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any info. on Strattera would be appreciated?!?!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 251 Total Views

Happy New Year!

We are in the process of having to consider prescription meds. for our 5 1/2y/o son.  At this point in time, our Dr. is recommending Strattera as she would prefer to not use a stimulant med. with him.  Have any of you used this with your children?  What can you tell me about it - good or bad?  We are reluctant to do precriptions, however, if the homeopathy tx we are doing doesn't kick it up a notch, we may be headed that way. 

I have also heard a lot about Vyvanse and Focalin...any info. on these would also be appreciated.  Our Dr. is very open to discussing other options and although she has given us some information, she would also like for us to investigate our options.  We have done OT (sensory treatment and brain gym work - he also has OT in school), social work, he has an IEP in school, schedule/routine (including picture schedules), elimination of dairy products as well as high fructose corn syrup/additives, allergy testing, homeopathy, and a lot of structure at home. 

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hero71
by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I am unfamiliar with Srattera but 2 of my sons are on Focalin XR.  AWe are very happy with it's results.  Neither one has had a change in eating or sleeping habits.  My youngest son was started on Adderall & after a few days, we knew it wasn't working.  That' when we decided to go with a non stimulant.  We are very happy with it as it is working well for both.  Hope this helps & good luck.  It sounds like you have tried other methods for your son.  Now you know that meds is the way to go, so give yourself credit for trying other methods first.  We also tried many other methods before resorting to meds for our boys.  Now we know meds is what works best for us & we don't have any doubts about what ifs.

Ateamsmom
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Hi, I have a son that is 12 who has ADHD since the age of 5. He has been on quite a few medications due to trial and error, and one of the medications we tried was Strattera, and it worked really great for quite awhile. My mom is an RN and introduced me to it, but like any medication, it's bound to have side effects. After quite a few months, my mother, and my son's doctor, told me to watch for any sign of suicidal thoughts, which did occur and we immediately took him off the medication, so from my experience, it was a great medication, but when my son asked me,"Mom, do you ever wonder what it would be like to jump in front of a moving car?" I took that as a sign to take him off. I wish you luck!!!

Corinne

Proud supporter of ADHD Awareness

National ADHD Awareness day is September 14th, 2009

lswalling
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Here is the website on Strattera.

http://www.strattera.com/index.jsp

I hope this works.

I take it and so does my stepson.  He is 12yrs old... and I am 27yr

hugs

2outof4
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Hi, my daughter has taken it for the past four plus years. It has worked great up till as of late. Shes 10 almost 11 now.  We didnt have any side effects. We have never tried any other medications, i have tourettes and my many people in my family has tourettes also her younger sister so we avoid any stimulant medication that has the possibilty of causing tourettes. I would recommend it but all kids are different and what works for one might now work for another child. Good Luck!

runnyvenom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Please note this is just my opinion and it is based on my son's reaction to this medicine.  OK, here goes, IMO this is for grownups.  My son who was 13 when he tried ended up balled up under the table and I had to go and get him from school.  It was way too strong and it messed his stomach up for a couple of days.  Your son is still young so it would be my humble opinion that he needs something a little less intense.  Ritalin did nothing for my son so he was on dextroamphetamine for a long time.  I hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)