Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on Melatonin.

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 1497 Total Views

I have read on here a couple times about giving Melatonin to your kids if they have a really really reallllllly hard time going to sleep at night and it has peaked my interest.  Is this something I would need to talk to her doctor about or could I just do it since it's not even a medicine?   We don't see her doc again for another month but i'm having a REAL hard time getting her to sleep and it takes forever and my nerves are just shot.  I was at the store today and saw some so I went ahead and bought some, lol - I got the 300mcg which i assume is lowest dose you can get.   She weighs 45 pounds.  Is that going to do or would I need the 3mg if I were able to do this?  I need some advice from parents please.  Thanks!!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswolfs
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:29 PM

My youngest step-daughter is on melatonin 3mg at night to help her sleep she is on vyvanse for her adhd as well. It works well for her but her doctor is the one that told us to start giving it to her so I would consult with her doc.

his_penguin
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Thanks for your reply!  I appreciate that.  I do feel uneasy about it and will wait to speak with her doctor about it first but i would still like to hear from other parents out there who use melatonin if you guys don't mind.  Thanks in advance!

hero71
by Member on May. 26, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I had heard several moms talking about melatonin so I asked the doctor about it.  He told me it would be a great idea to try it.  The other option was to try sleep medicines & I don't want to start that.  So we started my 9 yr old, who only weighs 54 pounds on the 3mg (300mcg is the same thing.)  He was having a hard time going to sleep & then he wasn't sleeping at all.  He would yell out crazy things in the middle of the night, like chasing squirrels and stuff.  The melatonin has done very well for him.  My youngest son was diagnosed ADHD in Nov.  He also has a hard time going to sleep, but once he is asleep, he's fine.  I started him on melatonin myself a few months ago & he goes to sleep fine now.  I wished it would help him sleep longer though.  He is always up early & just once I would like to sleep in!!!  I liked the fact that this was a vitamin & didn't pose any risk of addiction like the sleeping pills would.  It has been a big help in our family.  Hope this helps, good luck to you!!

momtobjng
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2009 at 1:49 AM

My 9 year old sone also took melatonin 3mg.  He was on adderall xr and then was switched to vyvanse. He had terrible time sleeping. The dr gave him clonadin for a while and then that got where that no longer worked. Then he switched to melatonin. That worked wonders for a while. Once again.  It was like everything else. He took it for a few months then it stopped working for him. Don't know why, just did. Then he was switched to trazadone and melatonin together. Now that the trazadone has been increased we didn't see a difference with the melatonin. For some reason it just stopped working for him? It is very safe to you and I was very excited that it wasn't just another pill. Good luck.  Mine is sleeping now...through the night. Up early but through the night!

wolfkatchat
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2009 at 2:03 AM

Our son was diagonised with adhd in July.We have him on adderall. Within the last few weeks, it has been a complete and total fight to get him to bed (every night and my husband has to get up and go to work in the mornings). We asked his dr if it would be okay to give him the melatonin and she said it was a great idea, too. Some nights it seems to work and others it doesn't. I also read to him, which as been a ritual for quite awhile now. I'm guessing we might need to give him 2 pills (melatonin) instead of 1. I wish he was old enough for the xr's or patches of adhd meds but he is not. Any advise on how to get him to sleep would be greatly appreciated. But I would ask dr 1st and ask how much to start with.  

Kat

jocsmama
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I give my daughter 3mg at night an hr. before bed time if possible.  Her Nurse Pract. told us about it and it works pretty good.  I also take it so I can destress.  My daughter is 100 lbs and 12 yo she is on vyvanse 30 mg and it does help.  I think 3mg is the most you should give try it.  It is something that your brain makes anyway so it is not a sleeping pill that you can get dependent on.  Good Luck

ladyrltr
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:22 PM

My gd Missy takes a 3 mg tablet every night with the blessing of her psychiatrist. She has had no side effects and believe me it helps her tremendously.

asgusta
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I give my 5 year old a 2.5mg tablet and we give his sister 1/2 of a 2.5mg tablet and they both do great on it, they get it every night. because if they didnt they would be up till 1 or 2 in the morning..

Williams4
by New Member on Sep. 21, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Its mainly like Benadryl.. I have heard aout it as well... I wanted something to put my kids to sleep at nite along wit their meds... The Dr gave both of my kids Trazodone for sleep which is good.. Start out slow & give it to her the same time every nite to see where she needs to be.. If you have any other questions please feel free to get a hold of me...

jocsmama
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM

My daughter has been taking it for over a year now.  Her Neurodevelopmental dr's PA told me to give it to her.  She started also on 3mg and she is also on vyvanse 40mg .  We have now put her on 5mg because she is now over 5 ft. and 107 lbs.  I also take it now problems at all in the am when you wake up you don't feel groggy .  It helps us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)