Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISTURBING New Trends....Dont read if easily offended.

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 6:09 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 240 Total Views
In just under the last two months Ive seen two disturbing news bulletins about newborns being abandoned by their Australian Mother's.  The first was on Mother's Day....a newborn girl was left at a local hospital.  She was later named Catherine by hospital staff.  No Mother or family member claimed her for their own.  The second was only a week ago where another newborn girl was left on the doorstep of a local church.  She was also named by hospital staff as "Joan"  (named after the church she was found at).  Noone has claimed her either.

The MOST DISTURBING was yesterday while I was at my doctor's surgery getting a check up on myself and my son (seeing we both had the flu).  A news bulletin stated that a newborn infant was found deceased in a bag at a rubbish dump.  I just burst into tears when I heard it and looked at my little man asleep in his stroller.

I can understand that there are alot of very scared, emotionally pent up and fearful mothers to be out there who dont know what to do in desperate times.....but dispose of a child in a bag and then dispose of it in a bin?  I cannot begin to fathom what was going through that girl/woman's mind.  There is such a thing as adoption agencies who could have helped her make this decision.

I am not one to judge....i dont know her, her circumstances or the events of her pregnancy.  BUT there would have been plenty of would be adoptive parents who would have cherished that child.

For the two Mother's who left their newborn's in the care of the church and the hospital I commend them.  There could have been an easier way.  But such as life.  At least these 2 girl newborns have the chance to live and be cared for.  But as for the third?  Im in too much grief to even think about this one......

Here are the articles on each:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21905512-2,00.html  This one is on the infant found deceased.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/newborn-to-go-to-foster-home/2007/05/16/1178995198495.html  Baby Catherine

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21883102-5007132,00.html Baby Joan

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
wildmom
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2007 at 10:33 AM
That story gives me chills. How can anyone do that?
CallumsMum
by Group Admin on Jun. 18, 2007 at 7:30 PM
I really dont know....I did read the whole article about it and the Coroner was yet to find out whether the newborn died during birth or afterwards.  Even then, if it was proven that the baby died after birth there is really no way to know who the mother is even with a DNA sample.  Seeing she never came forward.

I'll search around the net in a few more days - just to give the media more time to gather the information from the authorities.....but you know what was really weird?  Baby Catherine and Baby Joan got more media airtime than the baby found in this bag.  I never actually saw the News Bulletin.  I heard it from across the other side of the room while I was in the Doctor's waiting room.  I've watched the news every night since and nothing has come up.  So i'm wondering what the real story is.....hhhmmmm.....
Quoting wildmom:

That story gives me chills. How can anyone do that?
vonbau
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2007 at 9:57 PM
It is so sad when we read about these babies. I do wonder why the mom's thinks that the only thing that can save her baby is to leave it some where. What is it in her life that makes her think this is the only way out? Where are the women in her life? Female bonds are so important. This is what I believe and what I tell my daughter.
The story regarding the bub in WA just made me cry. I heard it on the news on the way home from work and cried. To leave him in land fill is so sad.  I do cuddle my daughter more tightly at night after reading these type of news.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)