Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Children's parents are against same sex relations...

Posted by on May. 19, 2007 at 8:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 315 Total Views

Every  other Thursday at my son's school,the parents are expected to come up and look at the kids artwork,and projects.One project was to bring a picture of there familes.My son came home today and told me that his teacher took his picture down which had his sister,me and my gf which he calls his other mommy.I called his teachers and they told me that the students parents did not want there children exposed that "that kind of stuff."Now I have to go to a conference on Monday.PLEASE,give me some kind of advice how to handle this on Monday,without me really giving them a peice of my mind...

by on May. 19, 2007 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ImaDiamond
by on May. 27, 2007 at 1:56 AM
Wow thats kind of tough, I understand that this a big part of our world now and some ppl cannot grasp it yet, some ppl don't want their children expose to it, My personal take on this is I know that obviously you are open minded, but can you think of something that you wouldn't want your child exposed to at this time, I don't think you should fly of the handle, I think you should accept that some ppl are and always will be ignorant, and flying of the handle is not going to change their minds. I know you must love you gf and are not trying to hide her in anyway, but you have to respect others feelings when it comes to their children, as you want them to respect yours about your kids.

I'm not judging anyone, my 20yr. daughter is bi-sexual and I don't agree with it but she is who she is and I love her no matter what!!!!

I think you can explain your position and this is your choice and this apart of your life as well as your kids life, this is apart of life and society should embrace this sexuality b/c it is on the rise and sooner or later they will run across it anyway. How is it that schools want to hand out condoms but can't keep it real about different sexualities.

Anyway good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Corrinaz
by on May. 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. My parents are lesbians and they were married and the same thing happened to my little brother when i was little. People are so cruel. Everybody is diffrent, people just need to learn to get over the fact that some people are gay or lesbian and learn to live life. :) I hope everything goes well for you. I completly support you.
GiraffeSunshine
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2007 at 2:29 AM

People used to be against interracial relations as well, I at 1 point thougth I would take a stand on the issue and say fight it with every thing youve got but you have to take into consideration your kids have to continue to live in the lime light of your acctions so if being in a more tolerant community is not an option then just keep guiding your child about the ignorance of others.

pluma69
by New Member on Sep. 5, 2007 at 2:59 PM
OK, first off i would just like to say that i have thought alot about this......when or if it should happen to my kids. I don't think it is right that they take your childs picture down...it is a picture of that child's family and regardless to if they like it or not, that is the life that this child knows. And if it is ok to take down your childs picture then they need not to disclude EVERYOTHER child no matter what their family includes. They donot have to go around a room and talk all day about this subject....and if children ask....well they have two mommies that love them!! Adults do not have to be just as ignorant there are ways around it so that everyone can be "compfratable" . Children are innocent and have no idea that this is "wrong" to some. They have no idea until taught such things. I would think that the children would be more curious as to why she took it down rather than just acting casual about the whole thing!! why make it a bigger deal than what it already has been made to be.
thats just my out look on it!!
good luck at that meeting and keep in mind though that your children are going to that school when you are there watching and when you are away.
JennyIsRad
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2007 at 11:03 AM

I think this is ridiculous. 

Why should we as gay parents have to censor our family?  Was the teacher not afraid of what your child would think?  That his family is wrong, or not as good as the others?

Tell the teacher that your family is just as important as anyone else's and that what she did is descrimination.  Descrimination in a school is illegal.  Hands down.  What she did is unfair. 

If other parents don't want their children "exposed" then maybe they should keep them out of the daycare. 

Offer to bring in children's books so that the kids may understand that there are different kinds of families.  Some families have grandparents or aunts and uncles raising children, some have only one parent, others are adopted.  Our families are no different. 

One of my favorite books is "Heather has Two Mommies"  The book explains all the different kinds of families, and describes Heather's first day at school.

pluma69
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2007 at 11:56 AM

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA....I AGREE WITH YOU!!

BlackStarOsha
by New Member on Feb. 29, 2008 at 5:58 AM
Personally, I think it's downright discriminatory and perhaps even illegal. But I don't know where you're living at, I'm out here in OR. 
I would take a stand because it may just be a drop of water, but enough drops of water eventually create a river that can cut through stone.
 It may not seem big, but if they are a SCHOOL they should encourage education on RESPECT.
I think it's horrible for them to make your child feel this way, that he is set apart or isolated.  You are absolutely validated in sticking up for your family, no matter the odds.   He is going to have to deal with more of it down the road, but personally, I feel like you model a good example of standing up for what is true and right in your heart and showing him that it is okay to choose your own path in life and not be bullied into any kind of shame.
I know that here in Eugene that kind of behavior in a school would be seen as a hate action and not tolerated by the community.

BlackStarOshaUnplugged
ZionNZareyae
by Group Owner on Jul. 11, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Quoting ImaDiamond:

Wow thats kind of tough, I understand that this a big part of our world now and some ppl cannot grasp it yet, some ppl don't want their children expose to it, My personal take on this is I know that obviously you are open minded, but can you think of something that you wouldn't want your child exposed to at this time, I don't think you should fly of the handle, I think you should accept that some ppl are and always will be ignorant, and flying of the handle is not going to change their minds. I know you must love you gf and are not trying to hide her in anyway, but you have to respect others feelings when it comes to their children, as you want them to respect yours about your kids.

I'm not judging anyone, my 20yr. daughter is bi-sexual and I don't agree with it but she is who she is and I love her no matter what!!!!

I think you can explain your position and this is your choice and this apart of your life as well as your kids life, this is apart of life and society should embrace this sexuality b/c it is on the rise and sooner or later they will run across it anyway. How is it that schools want to hand out condoms but can't keep it real about different sexualities.

Anyway good luck! Let us know how it goes!

I disagree with that.There will be plenty of things you do not want your child to be exposed to,and another human being shouldn't be one,unless that person is harming them in some way.I find that bi's and lesbians are just like any other person and should be treated as such,and for me to just go on and accpet it is ok,but for me to let them make my child believe that this is not normal is not right and I will not,never will accept that.

steph_2008
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2008 at 10:37 PM

what bothers me is that it is ok for a man and a woman to be called parents. but for us women who are either lesbian or bisexual it's wrong. you should be happy and i know you are that your child respects you and your lifestyle. i hope my daughter is the same way. it's tough to be looked down on for being the way we are and then for someone to say we shouldn't be parents is one of the worst things that they could say to us. be proud of the family you have. i know i am. they can't take us off this earth. there are so many gay parents out there. and im proud to say i am one of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN