Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Refusing to do school work

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 333 Total Views

Help! My 7yo son has been choosing not to do schoolwork.  On some days, he's happy to do his daily activities and others he just decides not to work.  We have been ironing out Adhd meds for the past few months and I'm pretty sure his meds are at the right level.  The school has tried all sorts of rewards and punishments as have I at home.  We have tried everything from treats to stickers and small toys for rewards, and have taken away toys, tv time, ipad time, dessert.  Nothing works!!  Any ideas out there?  We use a behavior chart now but I need something fresh. 

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AspieTeenz
by New Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Wow, I remember when my son did this too.  He is my suggestion.  I would start by picking one assignement.  Let's say you pick Math.  Have your son do every other problem.  Then reward him with a preferred activity.  Keep this going for at least a few weeks. 

Then, keep the routine but then set a time for a 10 min. break. Let him know before break begins that you have another assignment to finish.  Make him return to the table after the timer has gone off.  Even if he only writes his name on the paper of the 2nd assignment at first that is fine.  Slowly and gradually he will stay longer.  The entire homework, actual sit down homework should be no more than 20 minutes.  This does not include reading, which you can partner read by taking turns reading  to each other.

Timers and rewarding with preferred activities are key.  In addition, don't let him sit doing homework for more than 10 minute increments. 

Marie

aspieteenz.blogspot.com

I hope this is helpful.hugs

kjjones91
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Your suggestions are great, but homework is not the problem, its school work.

AspieTeenz
by New Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
In the iep he should have specific goals geared toward completing none preferred activities such as school work. If your child works 5 minutes in the class, your child should be rewarded with a preferred activity.
Does your child have a shadow? Does your child have a behavior support plan in the iep? If not, I would demand a meeting. I would ask for these services . My suggestion, in regards to the shadow is to ask for a Non Public Agency. These people are trained behaviorists and not just untrained aides. This support will help the teacher, you and more importantly the child. I would also ask for more training for the teachers. Sometimes, they just don't know what to do. Please keep me posted.
aspieteenz.blogspot.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)