Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cincinnati Mom of 9 Year Old AS - Need Social Skills & Discipline Guidance!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 623 Total Views

Have been reading through some of the posts, and felt this group had some commonalities for us.  We've known for quite some time that Ben (9) struggles with social skills, but he's also highly gifted in just about every area, so it's tough getting someone to properly diagnose.  We finally have an appointment with our Austism Center in Cincy, and after a long string of harrowing advocacy, have managed to get him into a special school for kids with behavioral problems, but they just aren't equipped to deal with the inconsistency of his meltdowns and some of the more confusing Aspie characteristics within the context of the school.  Homeschooling is not an option for us for multiple reasons, and there are limited schooling options locally for him, especially given the disparity (huge!) between his intellectual capabilities and his behavior/social development.  This leaves us (mostly me) struggling to digest all kinds of online eBooks, scouring groups and Facebook and digging for support for how best to discipine and help develop social skills.  We're beyond the basics, and feel fairly well equipped with suggestions and information, but I'm struggling with getting my husband on the same page (denial) and balancing life with our 8 year old daughter, who's gifted but otherwise "normal" (whatever that means!)  Any tips on a concise resource or something Cincinnati-specific that we can utilize?  So much of it seems geared more toward severely autistic and lower-functioning support,  that I'm beginning to feel like an anomoly (but still not willing to accept it!)  Thanks (and sorry about the mini-novel!)

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Eve4brandon
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Honestly, I came here too for questions and answers for my 7yr. old son. I have been homeschooling him since kindergarten because of his lack of socail skills, obsessive behavior in certain subjects (tornadoes, volcanoes, anatomy, etc. and his other obscure behaviors that are not normal in the average kid his age. He does great in academics, but lacks the others skills to perform on a socail area with kids and adults. I don't have any answers yet. I am on your path now. Go to aspergers.com for other resources. I would love to keep in touch. I don't have any poeple that can relate to this as a parent. K.I.T. Lots of luck and prays.

elkmomma
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Teaching social skills or at least muddling through them is so frustrating and at times disheartening at best.  DS is 12 and seems to only get along with the younger kids and adults for the most part, but has a couple of "friends" his age that seem to tolerate him.  We keep him in group activities for his age as much as possible when we can afford it, but it's a struggle and I love watching evolve and improve through those.

dawncs
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Welcome to the group! I really recommend reading http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/ and http://www.autism-soiety.org/ to learn more about his diagnosis and how to help him. You can get him help at school through an IEP (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) to which you can request one in writing and mention his diagnosis in the letter. Social skills therapy through a speech therapist can help him a lot. Getting him involved in sports and activities which match his interest can help him learn to make friends.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)