Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Active in Waukesha

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 1631 Total Views

Hello there everyone! My husband, Daughter age 2, and I will be moving to the Waukesha area in the summer. I will like to stay active and involved with my daughter and family. We enjoy walks, swimming, biking, playgroups, libraries, quality playgrounds, community activities, zoos, etc. We also like to stay close to malls for a place to get out of the house in the winter. So far I have been considering Pewaukee and New Berlin as places to live.

What kinds of things does each city have to offer for a growing family?

Thanks a ton!  I look forward to discovering our new city :)

Rachel

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Gibon
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:42 AM

We live in Waukesha.  There is a very nice library with childrens activities and a childrens room on the second floor.  There is also a park right outside of the library.  Beyond that there are Many nice parks for hiking and biking.  There is  also Lannon Quarry, which is about a  20 min drive from Waukesha.  It is a large Quarry that has been turned into a swimming hole.  It has a nice beach as well as camping facilities and biking trails.  There is also a very nice bike trail that runs all the way through Waukesha to Madison WI.  There is a wonderful Nature Center right on the outskirts of Waukesha which has a lot to offer, including toddler classes throughout the year.  I took my son all last summer.  Classes are $3 and are a ton of fun.  You hike through the woods.  One time we tried to catch frogs at the pond, look for bugs, find colors in nature etc.  There are also several malls for the winter as well as an indoor playground in New Berlin.   All in all there is soooo much to do in both areas. 

samiam828
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Hello Rachel!

We moved to Pewaukee last April and so far we like it.  They have a lake with a free beach in the 'downtown' area, and plenty of things to do with the Pewaukee Park District.  We haven't been too involved yet in the children activities because our son was only 2 months old when we moved in, but you can check out this link to see some of the programs they offer http://www.cityofpewaukee.us/community_information.php

In the 2008 Winter Program guide link on the right side, you can see what is available now through spring 09, just to get an idea. 

Like PP said, there are malls in New Berlin and Brookfield (which borders Waukesha).  The Brookfield Square Mall has a Gymboree Play & Music which can be great for toddlers during the winter months.  We went last week and had a blast.

Good luck with your decision!

RachelMSU
by on Feb. 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Thanks ladies for the ideas.  Do you know what the nature center called?  That sounds like a lot of fun!  I would like to look it up online :) 

Dolphindancer
by on Feb. 4, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Its called the Retzer nature center. It is a nice place to walk around as well. Good luck on your search!

Karen

Quoting RachelMSU:

Thanks ladies for the ideas.  Do you know what the nature center called?  That sounds like a lot of fun!  I would like to look it up online :) 

rockstarkk
by on Feb. 11, 2009 at 1:24 AM

In the Waukesha area you will find many county parks, Minooka Park is right in the city and offers hiking, swimming, fishing, picnic areas, sledding in the winter and a fenced dog park. Lapham Peak is a state park about a 20 min drive west of the city. This is a great WI state park with beautiful hiking, a look out tower and butterfly garden. Those are our two favs but there are many more. There are great neighborhood playgrounds all over the city. Waukesha has two outdoor pools during the summer, Buchner and Horeb. There is a Waukesha museum, but I would recommend the Milwaukee County Museum, I've been been there countless times and always discover something new. The Glacier Drumlin Trail (approx 50 miles long) runs right thru the city and is great for walks and biking. Waukesha County Library offers a very large variety of activities for families and children.

Brookfield Square Mall is maybe 10-15 minutes east of the city....

Milwaukee County Zoo is huge and will take an entire day to explore, this is about a 20 min drive east of the City. Of course SummerFest in Milwaukee end of June, early July is a huge event with big time headliner bands, food and endless kids activities...a shuttle bus can take you there and back to Waukesha. Pewaukee and New Berlin are both on the outskirts of Waukesha and in Waukesha County.

I tried to cover the things you asked about, but I'm sure there's much more I haven't mentioned, but I love living in Waukesha. My husband and I were both born and raised in Waukesha County and now we are blessed to raise our family here.

~ Kim

RachelMSU
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Thanks for all your help ladies.  I go to look at places to live in just 2 weeks and I'm so excited to get to know our new town :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)