Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Group. Need some advise

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 341 Total Views

I am new to this group.  I was wondering if any of you have children with Autism?  My son is 12 1/2  in 7th Grade this year.  He is High Functioning Autistic and struggles in school academically.  My struggle with him as of late is that he cusses alot at home and anywhere he thinks he can get away with it.  You must know he does not cuss at school and is always the teachers favorite student.  It is when he gets home from school and has held it together all day, he just explodes and sometimes gets out of control with his mouth.  What should I do about his cussing?  Do any of you have any advise?  I'd appreciate any advise you may have.

Thank you,

Tammi

by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Elfin2
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I don't have any advise with the cussing. But I do know that there are time when spencer who is Autistic too. When he has been really good at school and tryed really hard to behave at school he comes home with alot of energy. And sometimes he says things that I don't understand but I know hes not really saying anything nice I tell him to use nice words. There are also sometimes I have him go get on his bed and  rest alittle and sometimes it works. I don't know if this well help you but If you need someone to talk to I'm here.

hotsummersun09
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Tammi,

I feel for you. While I dont have an Autistic child I fully understand that age group as my daughter is there. Cussing at that age is completely normal. While my daughter knows its not acceptable she has let it slip a few times at home. She does not cuss in front of teachers but I am fully aware that she cusses in front of friends. I do not have any advice on how to discipline your child seeing he has special needs but im here if you need to vent your frustrations about it.

Kristy

CHRISTY58981487
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I  FEEL  FOR  YOU,  I  DONT  HAVE  AN  AUTISTIC  CHILD.  MY  OLDEST  DAUGHTER  IS  IN  THE  SAME AGE  GROUP  AS  YOUR  SON.  WE  HAVE OUR  DAYS  WITH  HER.  CHRISTY

CH3RRYL1PS
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Hello, I do not have an autistic child but I do however struggle with behavior. My daughter likes to make herself caugh till she chokes and throws up whenever she is upset or doesnt get her way. When I was doing research about it, someone recommended to ignore it and not react. Sometimes my reaction to this would be so crazy, I would get really angry and make her go to the bathroom. Now I just ignore it, and if it does happen I make her clean it up. I wouldnt make her clean up her vomit if she actually was sick. But when I say "no you cannot have a cookie" and then she makes herself so mad and starts choking herself I just tell her to go in her room and come out when she is ready to be good. Maybe if you dont react to your sons behavior, he will try other ways to get attention...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)