Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

July 2010 Community Service Project

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

It's summertime and C3 is on the move again!  Let's get a discussion started about what we can do in the month of July to give back to our respective communities.

I'll start!  My idea is connecting our kids with a pen-pal at a nursing home.  Your child can warm the heart of a grandma or grandpa who might not otherwise feel the joy of connecting with a child.  Getting started is easy... go to the online white pages, enter your area code and type, "nursing home."  Ask to speak with the Activities Director.  Tell them that your child would like to send letters and/or drawings and pictures to a resident who needs company or cheering up.  We've done this in the past and our wish to be involved is always met with a smile.  (When offering this idea to your children, please keep in mind that their pen-pal might not have the ability to write back.) 

If you live in the Northern California area and would like me to coordinate this for you and your child, I would be happy to help!

Now, let's hear your ideas for a July project.

With metta,

Chelsea

JULY 12th 2010 UPDATE:  We're going forward with the nursing home pen-pals.  Please scroll down for more info or send me an email!

by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KelleyBamboo
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM

My son and I go on a walk every evening before bath time to wind down and talk about our day. Usually we just point out all the words that he knows, but this month (and often after) we are going to be taking a bucket, bag, or something with us and playing the 'clean up game' throughout the neighborhood. I think it will show him that it is important to  to take care of his surroundings as well as his own things

sarah_smile
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I think that you have a great idea, Chelsea, in having our children write to pen pals in nursing homes. I think that I am going to see if this is something that my little guy would like to do, since his interest in writing has spiked over the last couple of months. He literally writes anywhere, anytime, and on anything... paper, booklets, even on the top of his DVD player when he needed a place to jot a phone number. He is going to be 6 years old and in the first grade this coming year. I would love for him to learn about older generations who are not as easily able to get around and enjoy life in the ways that he and I take for granted. 

You also have a good idea, Kelley, with teaching your son to help clean up the environment. Even the walk alone, a peaceful time that just you and he share, shows him that you value the time that you and he spend together.   :-)

One idea that we were thinking about becoming a part of around here is to volunteer yard/house-work time to older families in my husband's grandma's church. There are many couples in the church who are aging and cannot take care of their garages or yards anymore, and the church is also looking to get people between the ages of 18 and 35 to become more active in group functions. A good portion of the people who fall within this age group at the church have children, and it would be a good way for families to help out and interact within the community. We were thinking about packing a nice dinner for the family, so that they could eat and relax and enjoy while we helped with whatever was needed. I am not sure if this is the type of idea that you are looking for, but hope it helps.  :-)

ChelseaWoolf
by Group Owner on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Quoting KelleyBamboo:

My son and I go on a walk every evening before bath time to wind down and talk about our day. Usually we just point out all the words that he knows, but this month (and often after) we are going to be taking a bucket, bag, or something with us and playing the 'clean up game' throughout the neighborhood. I think it will show him that it is important to  to take care of his surroundings as well as his own things

Great idea!  The best way to teach our kids to care is by caring ourselves!  When they see mama carrying a bag for trash, caring becomes a natural part of the everyday lives. 

Nice work!  Thanks for sharing!!

ChelseaWoolf
by Group Owner on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Sarah - I love your idea about helping older families with yard and house work.  These are EXACTLY the kinds of ideas for which I am looking and in which I hope to get C3 involved. Keep the ideas coming! 

In the meantime, we are going to send some drawings and letters to a lonely grandma at a nearby nursing home.  I just spoke with the activities director there and she gave me the names of some residents that would really love a pen pal.  I'll list those names below.

If your child would like to "adopt" a grandma or grandpa to write to, please reply to this post and indicate the name of the nursing home resident you are adopting. 

Available Adoptees:

Gladys

Larry

Ruth

Gerald (He likes to go by "Gerry")

Mary

There are plenty more -- but this should get us started!

The address is:

Meadowood Nursing Center
3805 Dexter Lane
Clearlake, CA 95422-8850
Attention: Activities Director LAURIE

I hope to hear from you soon!

grandmagrandpa

sarah_smile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I will talk to my son tomorrow (he is sleeping right now) and see what he thinks! Would the director of the nursing home keep our address private (to herself, not the resident), if we were to send correspondence?

ChelseaWoolf
by Group Owner on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Absolutely! 

She will keep everything private -- only your child's first name will be revealed. 

Quoting sarah_smile:

I will talk to my son tomorrow (he is sleeping right now) and see what he thinks! Would the director of the nursing home keep our address private (to herself, not the resident), if we were to send correspondence?

sarah_smile
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:19 AM

I talked to Arik, and he said that he would like to write to Gerry.... he has an uncle named Gerry, so I think that is why he picked that name.  :-)  We will get something out in the mail some time in the next day or so. Will the residents be writing something back, or do our kids just send a note to cheer our special person up on occasion?

ChelseaWoolf
by Group Owner on Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Quoting sarah_smile:

I talked to Arik, and he said that he would like to write to Gerry.... he has an uncle named Gerry, so I think that is why he picked that name.  :-)  We will get something out in the mail some time in the next day or so. Will the residents be writing something back, or do our kids just send a note to cheer our special person up on occasion?

Wonderful!  Thank you so much!

The residents will not be writing back at this time.  We're keeping it simple and looking at it as a way to cheer a special person up.  If in time you guys feel comfortable sharing your address, then please feel free to do so.  In the meantime, enjoy knowing that you are bringing a little joy into that special person's life.

Be sure to let us know when you've put a letter in the mail.  That just might inspire another mama to get their little one on board.

ChelseaWoolf
by Group Owner on Jul. 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM

We started our home-school summer co-op today.  Our thematic unit for July is compassion.  I offered this is part of the curriculum to the girls and I'm happy to announce that Gladys has been adopted!

Much love to Jen P's sweet girl, Anna.

Remaining Adoptees:

Larry

Mary

Ruth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)