Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ferrets! (PIOG)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 344 Total Views

Do you have one?

Do you have any other pets? Do they get along?

What are some of the basics I need to know before getting one?

How much on average per month do you spend for all it's needs?

My daughter has been asking for one, and her birthday is coming up. I want to hear from people, not just websites and books, what it takes to care for one.

I don't know A THING about them. I don't even know what kind of food they eat. LOL

(If I do get one, it will be from the ferret rescue here in Anchorage.

And we do have two large dogs, and a cat, none of which have high prey drives, so no worry about "hunting".. and they're all great with the foster animals we've had before.)

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Steph925
by Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:22 AM
There is soo much to know about ferreta my mother in law has 8 right now. They are social animals the get along with cats just fine my dogs did not like the ferrets lol. I will look for a website for you tomorrow I'm headed to bed right now for more info on them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Thank you. :)

Ferne
by Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I'v never had one but my son used to have one.  It got along great with his cat but would try to chew on the turtle' s shell.  When my son went to Iraq. he gave it to a friend to care for and ended up letting them keep it.l

hightideatsea
by Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I have a ferret.  I've had them most of my life.  They can be litter box trained like a cat but it takes much longer with a ferret.  Make sure your home is ferret proof...such as no holes it can fit it's head in and disappear, cleaners put up, etc.. 

Ferrets do need a rabies and distemper shot yearly and while distemper is usually not required as a mandatory vaccination, you should at least be sure it gets a rabies vaccine.  Personally I don't think it costs a lot per month to care for, but that is just my opinion.  I only feed mine Marshalls Premium Diet and a 7 lb bag costs about $21.00 and will last me almost two months, sometimes three depending on how much he chooses to eat.  Once you chose a food for your ferret (ferret food only, no cat food) you'll want to stick with that food for your ferrets life. Ferrets are picky eaters and if you change their food, they will actually starve themselves to death before eating.

This will probably sound funny, but before you choose a ferret, check it's poop if you can see any in the cage.  If it has diareaha or a green stool....it's possibly  sick and will require vet care. That can get expensive.  The ferret I currently have has allergies and is on Benedryl when his allergies kick in.  However, before we figured out it was allergies, we were at the vet every week running test after test, and those alone are very expensive.  It cost me around $1000.  But, to me it was worth it because we had to figure out what was causing his itching, hair loss, and vomiting.  After Months of trying to pinpoint his exact allergy... we found out that it was anything with a lavender scent!

Normal monthly  costs for a ferret would lnclude bedding for the cage, litter if you are going to use a litter box inside the cage for training, (placed in a corner he/she uses the bathroom) and food.  If you do use litter, it will have to be a dustless kind. 

Other than that, ferrets are fun and can be pretty entertaining. They get all excited and will fling themself around, not paying attention and bumping into things. They also like to steal so if you end up missing rolls of toilet paper, socks, keys, or anything else, be sure to look under a couch, bed, or something like that.  Those seem to be the popular hiding spots.   

HaileysMom07180
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM

We have one ferret.  She is a slightly special needs ferret.  She is a runt, and has had a 6 month checkup to check on the space her body has for her organs.  She has grown enough to give her body room for her organs, but her vet said her organs aren't all in the right spot so she has to have a 6 month checkup instead of an annual exam.  Most ferrets get along with other animals because they are extremely social beings.  You may eventually need 2 if you don't have any other animals.  My friends first ferret became mopey after a month and ended up having to get another.  My ferret is scared of anything fuzzy (even not living).  Her vet mentioned that she could have a solitary need because of her being a runt.  Her vet basically said she is the autistic version of ferrets.  She can't be potty trained, we tried and finally gave up a few weeks ago after almost a year of trying, and her ears aren't formed right so we have to clean them dialey because a pocked formed in an incorrect spot in her ear and the wax collects there.  She is also notorious for rolling around in her poo, so she is always needing cleaned.  Yes I know a lot of people would put their pets down if they knew they had to have as frequent of vet appointments as she does and as much care as she needs, but we love her way too much to do that, even if she is a really tiny ferret living in a cage that could easily hold 6.

wickedfiress
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

We have one ferret.  She is a slightly special needs ferret.  She is a runt, and has had a 6 month checkup to check on the space her body has for her organs.  She has grown enough to give her body room for her organs, but her vet said her organs aren't all in the right spot so she has to have a 6 month checkup instead of an annual exam.  Most ferrets get along with other animals because they are extremely social beings.  You may eventually need 2 if you don't have any other animals.  My friends first ferret became mopey after a month and ended up having to get another.  My ferret is scared of anything fuzzy (even not living).  Her vet mentioned that she could have a solitary need because of her being a runt.  Her vet basically said she is the autistic version of ferrets.  She can't be potty trained, we tried and finally gave up a few weeks ago after almost a year of trying, and her ears aren't formed right so we have to clean them dialey because a pocked formed in an incorrect spot in her ear and the wax collects there.  She is also notorious for rolling around in her poo, so she is always needing cleaned.  Yes I know a lot of people would put their pets down if they knew they had to have as frequent of vet appointments as she does and as much care as she needs, but we love her way too much to do that, even if she is a really tiny ferret living in a cage that could easily hold 6.

:( I wouldn't put her down, but I also wouldn't take that on as a first time owner.

If we do decide to get one, we'll be getting it from the ferret rescue here in Anchorage.  I'll talk with them about finding the right fit for my family personality wise also, but from this post here, and the one other group I posted this, ferret personality and demeanor in general seems like one would fit right in here. :)

Thanks everyone for posting. Any bit of info and shared experience is helpful. I appreciate it. I find hearing personal opinions and experiences to be a lot more helpful in deciding than just the facts in books or on websites.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

HaileysMom07180
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 2:58 PM

No I wouldn't put that on first time owners either.  Technically we are first time owners with her, but we have friends that have 3 and with me being a sahm, i have a lot of time on my hands, especially since our apartment is small so it only takes about 30 minutes to an hour a day to clean.  Nice thing is she is great with humans, just not other animals.  She doesn't attack other animals either, she just screams at them and poops.  We techncally could get another ferret or another animal anyway if we want because we have the ferret nation cage, which has double doors on each level and turns into 2 cages.  We had to have the cages split when we ferret sat for my friend because she only got along with one of their 3.  that ferret was extremely fat and didn't do anything but sleep, eat and poop, and would just walk around when he came out.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

:( I wouldn't put her down, but I also wouldn't take that on as a first time owner.

If we do decide to get one, we'll be getting it from the ferret rescue here in Anchorage.  I'll talk with them about finding the right fit for my family personality wise also, but from this post here, and the one other group I posted this, ferret personality and demeanor in general seems like one would fit right in here. :)

Thanks everyone for posting. Any bit of info and shared experience is helpful. I appreciate it. I find hearing personal opinions and experiences to be a lot more helpful in deciding than just the facts in books or on websites.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)