Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New with Cat Weight Question

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 326 Total Views

Hey ladies. I'm Susan, 41, married to DH for 17 yrs with 1 daughter (14) and 1 son (11). Then there's Oliver, our 5yo Boxer boy.

My mom moved in with us about a year ago and brought her 3yo yellow tabby with her. Katie has been spayed and declawed and weighs a whopping 18 lbs!! The cat is obese!

We changed her to an Indoor Cat food by Blue Buffalo and giving her 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. The food stays out all day, but she rarely eats all of it in one sitting.

She's a very sedentary cat who just doesn't play much, no matter what temptations we offer.

Does anyone have any ideas to help us get this cat to slim down? I'd hate to lose her at a young age just because she's so fat! Thanks in advance for any advice.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
marklorna
by Group Owner on Mar. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Weightless should be gradual. Is the cat food low calorie?

One thing our cats love is to play with a red pointer light. We use it on the carpet so they have traction when they go after it. Does your vet have any suggestions?
grey7399
by Member on Mar. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

keep trying new toys.  I have a 40lb cat. Don't ask, lol but we're working on him.

I take him outside on a leash, play with a toy on a pole and a tiny remote control mouse.  He doesn't play for long, but we try to engage him for at least 5 minutes several times a day.

if nothing else we "chase" him from room to room for several minutes.

SusanTheWriter
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Thank you, ladies! We've cut down her food by 1/4 cup so far and we're trying to get down to 1/2 cup per day eventually.

And we're playing more. Still haven't picked up a laser pointer, but it's on my To Do list.

Snowcat60
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Invest in a good quality food, like Iams or Science Diet. Also feeding quality canned food may help.You could try giving your cat 1/2 can of wet food at breakfast and dinner, with 1/2 cup of dry available all day long.Then reduce the wet food to maybe 1/4 of can.

Also chasing the cat is fun and great excerise for both of you.But remember to do this in a playful way and talk to the cat while chasing her.My girls love to play chase and play with the red lazer beam.

Hope this helps?

HyperMom38
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

If the vet is concerned about the cat's weight, the best thing you can do to get it to lose weight is play, play and more play.  A frisky kitten would help :)  My older cat's weight had been creeping up over the years...  then we got a kitten and her weight went right back down to normal within a couple of months!

EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Definitely-consult your vet about a weight loss food such as Prescription Diet WD or even RD so the cat will get good nutrition and still have enough to munch on.  And yes, gradual would probably be best.  Play is good, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)