Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my tank is turning green?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 320 Total Views

I have 4 neon tetras and an albino pleco in a 3 gal tank. I give the pleco an alge disk every few days (3-4) when the last one is gone. Now my tank's water has a green tint to it. The last time i changed water was one to two weeks ago. There is also a couple plants in the tank. I use a tap water stabilizer when i change the water and let it sit in the gallon jugs for a few minutes before putting it in the tank. I even have a black light for the tetras but haven't turned it on in a few days. The tank sits near my back sliding door but the curtain keeps most of the sun off the tank.

My beta sits in a dish by himself (no filter and does have two plants) right next to the 3gal tank and his water is clear. His water got changed the same time that the others did.

and side question- i got bulbs for plants from petco, one of the plants has grown so tall its leaves are sticking out of the tank now. How do I fix this?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
drawMEAT
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Don't know if you still have this problem but for your algea I highly reccomend Marimo balls (http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/11121572) to use in your larger aquarium.  These can be purchased online or at some pet/aquarium stores.  Good luck :)

marklorna
by Group Owner on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Sounds like you need to ease off on the algae discs.  Once your tank is established, you shouldn't need discs.  You should also run an airline if you don't already have one.  As for the plant, scissors to trim the tops if you don't want it to grow out of the water.

fantasticfour
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Unfortuently I am going to tell you something you don't want to know.  You have too many fish for the size of your large tank.  The golden rule is 1" per fish to 1 gallon of water.  Think about this as well, you have plants and gravel and that takes up water too.    Your beta was also given to you in a very small plastic tub wasn't it?  That's akin to adopting a dog and putting him in a kennel all the time.  

Now, did you add any of those plants recently?  Do NOT do complete water changes!  You should be doing a 10% change every week so you don't upset the good bacteria in the water and to keep the water healthy.  If you recently added a plant, that could be the problem because with live plants they can sometimes tint the water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)