Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are moving to Oklahoma! What should we do?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

So we are moving to Oklahoma from Idaho.  we have a ferret, she hates her own kind and really relies on us for her social needs.  what should we do to move her, i'm thinking of getting a big carrier cage (perhaps like a small dogs or something like that).  has anyone moved long distances with pets?  how did they do?

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marklorna
by Group Owner on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Are you travelling by car? If so, i would use a good sized cat carrier. Have it bedded, fresh water and food available during the trip and make sure the carrier doesn't get too hot in the car. Buy the carrier as soon as possible so you can allow your ferret time to get use to her new living area. The more time she can spend in the carrier at home, the easier it will be when she has to move.
HaileysMom07180
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

yeah we are, i was gonna call her vet today too and see if theres some kind of sedative we have to give her, she's never been in a car that long and i know shes gonna freak out.

Quoting marklorna:

Are you travelling by car? If so, i would use a good sized cat carrier. Have it bedded, fresh water and food available during the trip and make sure the carrier doesn't get too hot in the car. Buy the carrier as soon as possible so you can allow your ferret time to get use to her new living area. The more time she can spend in the carrier at home, the easier it will be when she has to move.

sugarfox72
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM

We have 3 ferrets and they have traveled quite a bit. We use a cat carrier with cedar shavings in the bottom and they always have fresh food and water. I also hang a hammock in the carrier so that they can sleep off the floor. If you guys are staying in hotels along the way make sure that you have her on a harness and leash when you let her out in the room there could be a lot of things that she could get into that could harm her. I would take her out for walks on a harness and leash so she can get some of her energy out and she most likely will sleep in the car. 

GOOD LUCK!!!

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

oh sweet thanks for the advice, i was thinking too that the pet store here has those giant balls that you can put ferrets in so they can run around, they have a ferret rescue place here locally and they sell cages and gear for dirt cheap so i'm thinking about getting a portable ferret cage through them

Quoting sugarfox72:

We have 3 ferrets and they have traveled quite a bit. We use a cat carrier with cedar shavings in the bottom and they always have fresh food and water. I also hang a hammock in the carrier so that they can sleep off the floor. If you guys are staying in hotels along the way make sure that you have her on a harness and leash when you let her out in the room there could be a lot of things that she could get into that could harm her. I would take her out for walks on a harness and leash so she can get some of her energy out and she most likely will sleep in the car. 

GOOD LUCK!!!

sugarfox72
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Yeah we had a small cage that was 2 levels and that was ideal. We had a ball too, make sure you get it in advance though it takes time for them to learn how to use it. I'm sure that you guys will do fine! :)

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

oh sweet thanks for the advice, i was thinking too that the pet store here has those giant balls that you can put ferrets in so they can run around, they have a ferret rescue place here locally and they sell cages and gear for dirt cheap so i'm thinking about getting a portable ferret cage through them

Quoting sugarfox72:

GOOD LUCK!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaileysMom07180
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM

yeah we have a local ferret shelter here and they sell cages and other stuff super cheap.  i found a small 3 level cage for 25 bucks that i'm gonna get as soon as possible.  she has a dog bowl that she likes to sleep in with a folded blanket (she will actually wake up and stare at us until we get up and fold it for her).  we r going to put that in the cage with her.  the biggest adjustment for her i think is going to be the water bottle, she hates those, and she uses a regular bowl right now.

Quoting sugarfox72:

Yeah we had a small cage that was 2 levels and that was ideal. We had a ball too, make sure you get it in advance though it takes time for them to learn how to use it. I'm sure that you guys will do fine! :)

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Quoting sugarfox72:

GOOD LUCK!!!

grey7399
by Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:32 AM
Oh good lord. ITS EASY. We drove from Florida with 3 turtles, 20 lizards, 20 frogs, 1 great pyrenees puppy, 1 kitten and a parrotlet (bird) Everything gets its own carrier. Take a load of puppy pads with you. Put a stretch of material across the top using the screws that hold the halves together - it'll make a hammock. Put the puppy pad on the bottom, water bottle and feed. Yeah its not perfect but its better than being left with strangers. Everyone suffers a little during a move or long distance traveling but in the end its all good.
goatmom4
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

yup ley her pee   in crate then it will smell like hoome and she can be less stressed   if overnight stays happen    see if hotels in small crate will let her in      good luck

marklorna
by Group Owner on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Quoting grey7399:

Oh good lord. ITS EASY. We drove from Florida with 3 turtles, 20 lizards, 20 frogs, 1 great pyrenees puppy, 1 kitten and a parrotlet (bird) Everything gets its own carrier. Take a load of puppy pads with you. Put a stretch of material across the top using the screws that hold the halves together - it'll make a hammock. Put the puppy pad on the bottom, water bottle and feed. Yeah its not perfect but its better than being left with strangers. Everyone suffers a little during a move or long distance traveling but in the end its all good.

Good golly!  That is a lot to move!

When you have a special needs child, it is like floating in the ocean. You will have highs when you ride the top of the wave and move forward and lows when the wave crashes over you and sucks you back. As you are riding a low wave of sadness, frustration & disappointment, just keep in mind the next wave will take you back up and move you forward once more.

Condutive Education Information Sharing at:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/50043/

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

yeah we are going to do it with the puppy pads and get one of those extra large excercize balls for the hotel cuz i worry about her finding some kind of hole to crawl in.  shes very tiny

Quoting marklorna:

Quoting grey7399:

Good golly!  That is a lot to move!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)