Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bunny question *pic* piog

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 359 Total Views
1 mom liked this

so we got a bunny for my neice for her birthday so im bunny sitting and my husband says we cant give a bunny a bowl of water she needs th little bottle

my question if they cant drink water out of a bowl how do they drink water in the wild? 

heres a pic of the bunny lol

its a siamese dwarf bunny

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Holycropmom
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Most pet stores have already trained rabbits to drink from the bottle but it wouldn't hurt to try the bowl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenesis915
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM
It came from a farmer

Quoting Holycropmom:

Most pet stores have already trained rabbits to drink from the bottle but it wouldn't hurt to try the bowl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

They can do either/or.  They don't have bowls in the wild.  Generally they lick dew off plants.

jenesis915
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Oh ok I thought they would drink out of streams or something lol

Quoting grey7399:

They can do either/or.  They don't have bowls in the wild.  Generally they lick dew off plants.

grey7399
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Not unless they were desperate.  To many large predators go to streams and ponds to drink.  Its safer to just sit in a clump of grass and lick dew off.  Plus they get a bit of moisture from the things they eat.

I live in AZ, not a lot of streams out here, lol.  But we've got tons of wild bunnies.

Quoting jenesis915:

Quoting grey7399:

jenesis915
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Lol thank you I was just curious because someone said they can't drink out of a bowl they will drown but I thought in the wild they drank from bodies of water so what was the difference but now I know

Quoting grey7399:

Not unless they were desperate.  To many large predators go to streams and ponds to drink.  Its safer to just sit in a clump of grass and lick dew off.  Plus they get a bit of moisture from the things they eat.

I live in AZ, not a lot of streams out here, lol.  But we've got tons of wild bunnies.

Quoting jenesis915:

Quoting grey7399:

grey7399
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

lol well they can drink out of a bowl.  1.  we have some plants out here that form "cups" at their bases and I've seen rabbits drinking out of them.

2.  My friend got a rescue bunny who prefers to drink out of a bowl - then play in the water and make a huge mess versus the water bottle he was trained to drink out of.

Its just not necessary.

Quoting jenesis915:

Lol thank you I was just curious because someone said they can't drink out of a bowl they will drown but I thought in the wild they drank from bodies of water so what was the difference but now I know

Quoting grey7399:

Quoting jenesis915:

Quoting grey7399:

jenesis915
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Haha that's cool thank you I learned something today :)

Quoting grey7399:

lol well they can drink out of a bowl.  1.  we have some plants out here that form "cups" at their bases and I've seen rabbits drinking out of them.

2.  My friend got a rescue bunny who prefers to drink out of a bowl - then play in the water and make a huge mess versus the water bottle he was trained to drink out of.

Its just not necessary.

Quoting jenesis915:

Quoting grey7399:

Quoting jenesis915:

Quoting grey7399:

stargazerwolf
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Adorable!!! I not only love dwarf rabbits but love the simease coloration! Rabbits can easily drink from bowls just like dogs. Some do prefer it, but if its not a heavy bowl they will likely tip it, rabbits love to play and throw things around if they can. Rabbits can also get the water dirty easily if in a bowl. I used to have a Polish (about 3 lbs) and she was a sweetheart! I sure miss having a rabbit. Have fun bunny sitting!

PrideMums
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Mobile Photo

We got our lop eared bunny yesterday and she drinks out of the bowl :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)