Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about guppies?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 198 Total Views
I have one female fan tail guppy. We had more but the one we got from Walmart died. We suspect she was sick when we got her. We had a male, I accidentally trapped him under the filter. I got three more two female and a male. The smaller female died I suspect givin birth or from stress. And the male I found under the filter again. But I suspect he went under there on his own and got trapped.
We have one female who is obviously very prego. I have moved her to a tank I. Her own where her fry can live after she births them. And also away from the tetras and plicasamous(sp?).
I am curious though how long until she gives birth? I would hate for her to have them and eat them so my plan is to move her as soon as she had them.

How can I tell? Ill pos a pic as soon as I can.

Oh and before I moved her she was hiding in all kinds of places in the other tank away from the other fish. Right now I think she is enjoying being alone lol.

Thanks

by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JSVDP
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I showed up at this group because of my dog but I actually raise and breed guppies!  First of all, how on earth did you get such a clear picture of that pretty guppy?  She looks pretty pregnant to me, but you can't really tell from a side view.  They have a 28 day gestation period.  Be careful though because if you want to breed your guppies for prettier ones, remember that a guppy can give birth 8 times from the same guppy sperm.  She can keep it in a pouch and hold it there in case she doesn't like the other boys sperms.  Wow if only we could do that!  Good luck with your beauties and a word to the wise, don't get your fish at walmart!  The best place that is commerical that I have found is petco.  I have NEVER seen a dead fish there before, they also have a 30 day money back guarentee. 

fantasticfour
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

One more thing.  What's your water like?  Is this a new tank?  With so many that have died have you done a complete water change?  I don't test my water for nitrates or ph because I know what my tap usually is and I treat the water.  I do know that the dead fish give off all kinds of nasty chemicals that are dangerous to them.

JSVDP
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM
The first tank wasn't new. It's had tetras in it for months. And I added the guppies. The female that died first was sickly. She looked sickly when we got her bit I didn't know til after she died and did research. I killed the first male on accident :(. The second female I am pretty sure she was stressed. The second male I am not sure how he got under the filter but he got trapped. This female is the only one left. I just moved her to a new tank that I treated before putting her in. It doesn't have it's own heater so I had to put in a submersible one so the water doesn't get too cold. I am checking every day to make sure everything is alright for her. I am thinking this will be my fry tank when she has them.
We got her at a pet store. Our pet co has a ba rep for dead or sick fish. The pet store seems to have the most healthy fish in town. Guess we will see how things go from here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JSVDP
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I got babies!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Congrats!  I got mine too, now I have my second pregnant guppy and it doesn't look good for her.  I'm disappointed because I was really interested in seeing who actually got to this one.  Poor thing, I'm afraid to leave her in the tank and afraid to remove her :(

Quoting JSVDP:

I got babies!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)