Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YELLOW Fish tank water! (no not green)

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 327 Total Views

Does anyone know how to help that? I've talked to the people at petsmart, I've looked on line, I've done 50% water changes and it STILL looks the same!

My PH is thru the roof! and my nitrates are high also, I keep putting in Aqua safe to try to help stabilize the water, nothing helps.(petsmart ppl tell me it's our area, we just have bad water!) but when I add water, I let it sit for 24 hrs and it tests perfect!

I have a 10 gallon tank, one cat fish, one algae eater, 5 striped black fin tetra's

I had fish when I lived in a different town, and never had water issues, I move and I can't keep my tank stable! All my fish died, so I left the tank for 6 months, then cleaned EVERYTHING(I should have used the dishwasher LOL) then I filled the tank and even bought a new filter system, let it run for a week, everything was fine!(no fish in it) I started to add a few fish,(I didn't add the water from the store, just the fish) slowly the water turned YELLOW!

My only step now is to take out all the water but a 1/4 of it and change it out.

and no fish don't pee(that was my hubbys theroy) smart aleck

planning a wedding

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
marklorna
by Group Owner on Oct. 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Have you tried using bottled water to fill your tank?  Can you post a picture of your tank?

gr8d8n3mom
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Quoting marklorna:

Have you tried using bottled water to fill your tank?  Can you post a picture of your tank?

Bottled water was my next thought., but not purified as then there will be no minerals, I will try to post a pic later, we are watching the Cardnials play the giants, (Go CARDS!) lol

planning a wedding

marklorna
by Group Owner on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM
My sister had to use bottled water for her fish tanks. The town water's mineral content was too high and kept killing her fish.
gr8d8n3mom
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM

this is what I'm thinking too, for over 5 yrs in the town I used to live in, I never had a problem with my tank. I moved 2 & 1/2 yrs ago set up my tank 2 yrs ago and have had nothing but troubles. I too believe its the water.

Quoting marklorna:

My sister had to use bottled water for her fish tanks. The town water's mineral content was too high and kept killing her fish.

planning a wedding

grey7399
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Do not buy bottled water, over time that will kill your finances and is just such a pain in the ass.

Buy a filter for your tap water.  I've never heard of water turning yellow unless something was made of iron.  Are you sure your decorations are safe?  More than likely thats your issue.

Any rocks from the yard or collected?

gr8d8n3mom
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

It's hard to see in this pic(from my phone) but if you take a clear glass the waters yellow. Everything bought and put in there, was from a fish isle at pet smart or walmart.  My algae eater died yesterday, I just ready to give up! No that's not algae or dirt on the back of the tank must be a reflection?

Quoting grey7399:

Do not buy bottled water, over time that will kill your finances and is just such a pain in the ass.

Buy a filter for your tap water.  I've never heard of water turning yellow unless something was made of iron.  Are you sure your decorations are safe?  More than likely thats your issue.

planning a wedding

grey7399
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Do you have a secure hood?  or just a light bar?

Quoting gr8d8n3mom:

It's hard to see in this pic(from my phone) but if you take a clear glass the waters yellow. Everything bought and put in there, was from a fish isle at pet smart or walmart.  My algae eater died yesterday, I just ready to give up! No that's not algae or dirt on the back of the tank must be a reflection?

Quoting grey7399:

grey7399
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

What kind of filter are you using?  Does it use charcoal?

gr8d8n3mom
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Quoting grey7399:

What kind of filter are you using?  Does it use charcoal?

Secure full hood with the lights attatched to it, Turn them on around 8 am off around 9pm and yes using a Charcoal filter, changing once a month, but have been Changing filters more often.

I'm thinking of taking the fishout (or take out all the water but 1/4) and do new water?

planning a wedding

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)