Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hedgie mommas!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

We got a hedgie yesterday from a guy who was going to let her go in the SNOW. Her name is winter but she is not a winter critter!!!!

Last night she wasnt doing a lot but today we got to hold her and noticed she was falling a lot. The guy had her on that crushed paper junk.

We took it out and put in newspaper due to lack of anything other then pine bedding. She did a lot better but kept slipping. 

We also changed her from reg hedge food to cat food (chicken soup for the cats soul brand) and tried to mix w the junk she had (had shrimp in it!!!! 3 shrimp allergic peoplehere!!!) 

She couldn't get enough

.Im wondering how much of this is lack of good food or if she has WHS. I would be super
sad if she does have whs as the guy said she was fine yesterday. And ideas???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
marklorna
by Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I don't know anything about Hedgehogs, but she looks so sweet.

goatmom4
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

try to google  a website for her   that is one on me   they are rare   maybe a vet  could give you ideas    thanks   for saving her from a horriable death  !!!!!!!!!!!!! the nerve of some people letting a tiny thing freeze  

halleys_mommy_1
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Shes doing a little better. We think she might have damaged her right back leg a while ago. She will stand on it and allows only me to touch it. But when she walks she just kind of shuffles.

I have been working w her daily and so far she allows my mother to feed her but opens up for me. I will come in the room and she will get all crazy and paw at me.

Yesterday she allowed me to rub her belly and she was putting her head under my hand to be pet.

I think she has a lot of work before shes % 100 but we are getring there.

Quoting goatmom4:

try to google  a website for her   that is one on me   they are rare   maybe a vet  could give you ideas    thanks   for saving her from a horriable death  !!!!!!!!!!!!! the nerve of some people letting a tiny thing freeze  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kauna
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Adorable!  I have always wanted one but they aren't allowed in my state.

I'm thinking she may have had this condtion before and maybe the guy didn't notice it or thought it was normal?  I just have trouble thinking a guy who was going to turn her loose in the snow actually bothered with her enough to even notice her walk.  Maybe I'm wrong about the guy and just being too cynical, but I can't help but think it. 

stargazerwolf
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Awww, she's so cute and sounds like a sweetie. I've never owned one but worked with them in college (vet assistant major) and a friend of mine is obssesed with them lol. They are adorable critters, how awful of someone to think about releasing her into the wild :( I think her diet change will be perfect for her. Do you have an exotic vet near by? You could get her checked out (vet can feel if leg is broken or something maybe). I'd watch her for awhile to see if her walking improves, but I'd probably put her on aspen bedding, rather than newspaper. Aspen is safe for all critters, the soft stuff is what I'd recommend. I really hope she gets better soon and that it isn't WHS.

goatmom4
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM

proper food might help her leg could be lack of calcum        takecare son tryoiing to fight for    comp....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)