Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any snake owners here? Have a question?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 198 Total Views

My brother just bought my kids a baby king snake. The store he got it from was feeding it live pinkies. Everything I have come across online says frozen/thawed is better. I fed him or her (dont know the sex) 3 frozen/thawed and he ate them without a problem. I am hearing conflicting things on live vs frozen. The latest was that love were better because you don't know how long the frozen ones were dead before freezing and if it was in good health. Anyone have any advice on this. I want the snake healthy but frozen sure are easier than buying live every week.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CollinBayleeMom
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM
We've had our Mexican Black Kingsnake for a little over a yr and we've always fed frozen/thawed with no problems. I have read that live mice could hurt the snake (scratch/bite), but I assume wild snakes eat live mice/rats. ;-) lol We are considering buying a breeding pair of mice and having FRESH pinkies/fuzzies. It would be much cheaper and we'd know exactly where the "snake food" is coming from and how old it is. I just don't know if I can do that...it would have to be my hubby's job!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
munchkin79
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Yeah the first time we fed it live since that is what the store was feeding it and I couldn't watch too much of that. I kept popping my head in to see. Lol Then I tired frozen/thawed and he ate them just fine but I noticed he didn't constrict them like he did the live ones. Im just so friggin confused on this subject. I have never owned a snake before. I have read that live mice could harm the snake but then my brother told me you dont know how long the frozen ones were dead or if they were healthy and made it sound like live were better.

munchkin79
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM

How big is your snake? I think ours is about 17 inches? Kinda hard to measure, he was really active when I tried to get an idea. Any way I am wondering if he needs more food than what we are giving. We gave him 3 pinkies last time we fed him and he ate them super fast.

Batman003
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM
We have 4 snakes and possibly getting a 5th one. I have never fed live, I dont want to have to deal with a chewed on snake. All of our snakes are rescues and some have been abused. And the last time I fed live, only because noone in town had any frozzen large rats, the rat bit the nose of my red tail and he has a scab that is interfearing with his shedding.
Batman003
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Are you feeding all 3 at one time? it might be time to move up to small mice. You can feed them mice/rats the size of there body, not there mouth. As for frozen, all I can say is go to someone that you know/ trust to get them. Dont get the prepackaged from petsmart. Go to a feed store.

We have had differnlent kinds of snake for 5 yrs now, so if you have any questions please feel free to pm me.
CollinBayleeMom
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM
We have fed nothing but prepackaged pinkies/fuzzies (the next size after pinkies). My hubby told me that he read that those are the best because they are lab raised to be free of parasites. The way we see it though is that if you raise the breeder/feeder mice yourself, most likely they'd be free of parasites, but if you freeze the pinkies/fuzzies for so long any parasites they have would die off anyway. S/he gets 2 fuzzies/wk (one day/wk) when s/he's not shedding. When we started feeding 3 pinkies/wk, we decided to move up to fuzzies. S/he is about 2-2.5 ft, but like you said it can be tricky to measure them. I just go by comparing him/her to the width of the cage, which is 3ft, when s/he is stretched out.
CollinBayleeMom
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I think there are four sizes for the mice...pinky, fuzzy, small adult, large adult??? I don't remember seeing frozen rats at Petco. Our snake should end up at 5 ft and 2 in diameter (or is it circumference???) so I'm not sure if s/he'll ever get rats, but I could be wrong?? Any of you ladies keep your own breeders/feeders? Any advice??? If you'd rather PM, that's fine...I'm just curious because I just don't know if I could (but the frozen adult mice are so much more expensive and you only get one in a package vs three fuzzies).
Batman003
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Ther are 5 sizes, pinkie, fuzzy, hopper, sm adult, lg adult. We at one time kept mice for breeding as we had 3 snake of 3 different sizes. Unless you have space, time, and freezer space. I dont recommend it. We had 3 10gal tanks, 1 for males, 1for females(non babied) 1 for prego/babies females, they stunk, had to be cleaned at min once a week, all 3 cages, but of you disturbed a mother with young(pinkie-fuzzie) babies they would eat all of them. once they hit hopper stage, they were hard to catch/control. Thay being said we have 4 snakes, one on pinkie mice, one one fuzzie mice, one on sm rats, and one on lg rats, and I refuse to breed rodents again, ues it saved alittle on money, time, and gas. But no thank you!!

I currently have a ball python, red tail boa, corn snake, amd a kenya sand boa. We have had 3 other corns in the past but had to rehome due to some unfor seen cirsonstances. If you have any reptile questions please ask, I live to educate people on them. The ball python was badly abused, and has scars. She like to go into classrooms and I tell her story and why reptiles are not an impulse buy.

again feel free to ask me any question you might have.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)