Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old dogs

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:02 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 171 Total Views

This is Lacey and Roxy.  We got them as puppies in 2002.  Lacey (th lab/dobbie mix) has artheritis.  Both dogs have cut down alot on eating and i am starting to see Laceys ribs.  Roxy on the other hand is a bit heavy.  They don't eat eachothers food tho, and often both dogs food are still there the next day unless i put something exciting in there like chicken.  I am thinking i should just change them to full on canned food since they are so old? 

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
marshsmom
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I don't know that I would totally change to wet food.  Wet food can be good especially if your older dogs are experiencing dental problems (which is common), the canned food may also be good for the heavier dog because the moisture content is higher, the dogs will feel fuller after a meal.  On the opposing view, I have never given wet food to a dog and not ended up with really wet poop out the other end.  If you clean up after your dogs, this may not be very appealing.  Also, if they are used to free feeding, you can't leave wet food down all day in their bowls due to spoiling and bacteria.  I would suggest feeding wet food on a schedule and leaving dry kibble for the bowls all day.  

Your babies are precious.  I have a senior black lab that we have been hospice fostering for 2 years now.  She is about 10 to 12 years old and was found as a stray wandering the streets.  She had pneumonia and heart worms on top of the typical arthritis.  The rescue group we volunteer for asked us to take her in and hospice foster, so she will be with us until she is gone to the bridge, and in the meantime she has the best life we can give her for her last few years :) She was actually featured in the April 2014 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray!  She's a star, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)