Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just spent $100 on a dog toy...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 255 Total Views

My dog, Juniper, is an Australian Shepherd/Heeler mix (maybe even some border collie, or a short haired border collie), she obviously has a ton of energy, she's about 2 years old or so (rescue so not sure) so even more reason to be hyper. I've had her almost a year. I sometimes bring her to work with me but she barks every time someone comes in (grooming salon so they expect barking but she sounds like she's attacking) so I more often leave her home. I keep her locked out of bedrooms and the bathrooms, so she has the kitchen/dining/living room (its an apartment).

Usually she does well all day. She's wonderfully housebroken and won't make a mess even if I left her 12 hours (though I don't do that). She is a chewer sometimes though. I make sure most things are picked up but sometimes she finds random pieces of paper or other things to chew up. When I first got her she chewed up a cd...luckyily didn't cut her mouth. She has seperation anxiety so that doesn't help things either. I usually fill a toy or her bone with peanut butter and also fill a treat ball with food, she rolls it around and gets pieces of food til it runs out. She loves this.

Unfortunately with me being so busy she doesn't get the exercise she needs, my kids play with her, I walk her in the apartment yard, that's about it. I do training with her though, mostly obedience and tricks, she's super smart. I'm glad to say when we are home she is the perfect dog except her barking if someone knocks, or barking outside when she sees people or animals...but I attribute that to lack of exercise. I do try to take her to dog parks and such, I also take her to Petsmart/Petco on occasion and like I said, work when I can. She does pretty well overall considering.

Anyway, I just saw a post on Facebook of this automatic ball launcher specifically for dogs. It is $99.95..$15.05 shipping to me. I know its crazy, but I figure she will be easy to train how to use it and she can do it all day long while I'm at work. Sometimes I've seen her throw her squeeky toys up in the air then catch them, she already plays by herself, but this will be so much better!! She loves fetch and overall this is way better than buying a bunch of things for her to chew. I bought this thing called a Quado, its like four chewy bones (edible) that are connected at the end (it forms a tripod with one sticking straight up) and it was almost $10, it lasted 2 days...other things like greenies and pig ears last I'd say a half hour at most. So this $100 toy which can plug in or use batteries will last years! And I know she will be more tired out at the end of the day and less anxious. I can't wait to get it! http://www.goifetch.com/

For anyone thinking "why'd you adopt such a hyper dog if you were busy" I had no idea how busy my grooming salon was going to get, I'm working 6 days a week alone, booked out 2 weeks, I'm a single mom of 2 kids. I plan to eventually do agility trials with her when I have more time, that is why I went with such a smart high-energy breed (well mix) and she is gorgeous. I love Australian shepherds, the heeler in her gives her a lot of her look, but I can see the Aussie too. I also love that she has short hair and is great with the kids, smart, and super sweet. :) Believe me, especially as a dog groomer I know my breeds and regardless of how hyper she is she will live with me all of her days :) And this toy will just help keep her happier. Pics!

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
stargazerwolf
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM

She is obviously built for speed so she will be great in agility when I can do it, she flys high when I play frisbee!

stargazerwolf
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:01 PM

This is her "chillin'" pose, I call it doggie yoga, as she stays in "downward facing dog" for a while until she realizes I'm watching her. I think its so cute! This was at my grooming salon.

vam1080
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM
She is so beautiful! It is always so good to hear someone trying to take care of their pet instead of just giving up on them. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)