Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

parakeet anyone??? PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 223 Total Views

hi i am new to this group and we are getting a parakeet tommrow for our 2 yr old do i need to know anything?? she is a girl one and she is tame a baby just born a couple months ago

\

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ChazznRoccosmom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM
Hi! I use to owner, breed, raise parakeets, and keep them as pets. I highly recommend keeping the wings clipped in the beginning. This will help the bird learn to adjust better to you. Keep the cage at eye level or below. If the bird is often looking down at you instead of up or level, it will assume it's at the top of the pecking order, and training will be harder. Give the bird a few days to adjust by leaving it in the cage and just talking softly. It'll take months to get it to come to you, but it will in time. Keep some millet on hand for training. I could go on and on, but hopefully that'll get you started. PM me if you have any questions or want to learn more. Also, keep them on a seed or pellet diet, and use fresh fruits and veggies as treats. Full of vitamins and much healthier than commercial treats.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

mom2hannah30
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:52 PM

thank you so much! i will let ya know how it goes

Quoting ChazznRoccosmom:

Hi! I use to owner, breed, raise parakeets, and keep them as pets. I highly recommend keeping the wings clipped in the beginning. This will help the bird learn to adjust better to you. Keep the cage at eye level or below. If the bird is often looking down at you instead of up or level, it will assume it's at the top of the pecking order, and training will be harder. Give the bird a few days to adjust by leaving it in the cage and just talking softly. It'll take months to get it to come to you, but it will in time. Keep some millet on hand for training. I could go on and on, but hopefully that'll get you started. PM me if you have any questions or want to learn more. Also, keep them on a seed or pellet diet, and use fresh fruits and veggies as treats. Full of vitamins and much healthier than commercial treats.

\