Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are strokes hereditary?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 661 Total Views

Ok, I have a question...  My son had a stroke in utero.  Does anyone know the odds of another baby in my immediate or extended family having a stroke in utero as well? 

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
luckymama2girls
by Group Admin on Jan. 12, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I know a ton of pediatric stroke families and I don't know of any that have had more than one child have a stroke. That being said, I would think that it would depend on the cause of your sons stroke. Like if it was because of a blood clotting disorder or something like that. I know one of the other moms had a disorder that was only detectable during pregnancy and if left untreated could have possibly cause a second child to have a stroke. Do you know what caused you sons stroke?

jacksmom1109
by New Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Well they told me they thought it was a blood clot, but they couldn't be certain, and they had already discarded my placenta so they couldn't test it, we ran every test possible to try to determine the cause, they did genetics testing on me and told me it was nothing that I passed on to my son.  Have any of these families had any other family members have babies with strokes?  Thanks for replying!

mommyakabooby
by New Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM

My daughter has a hereditary disorder which causes her to form clots. But it is passed from parent to child. If it was nothing you passed on, than it wouldn't be hereditary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN