Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GIA classes

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 225 Total Views
Hey, have any of you taken classes through the GIA?  I've been on again, off again, thinking of doing it for the past 10 years.  Unfortunately, I am in the middle of WI with a family so that hampers expedited courses!! I know I could do it at home so that might be what I end up doing.  The bad thing is my eyesight is getting worse and that is a big handicap!

Elin
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
melissasgems
by Group Owner on Jul. 31, 2007 at 5:41 PM
I would love to take the GIA classes.  I did not know you could do it online.  Do you know where i could find the info and pricing for online classes.  I dont think it something I could afford right now, but maybe when my youngest goes to school I could
elinabelle
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 5:01 PM
Its not actually online.  You register with them (and it is a substantial sum but you could do it class by class).  they send you the materials to do it in-home, including gems and equipment. Then you proceed on your own pace. 

Their headquarters is in CA. but they do have satellite stations worldwide.  Also they have traveling classes too.  I think if you just do a search for the Gemological Institute of America you can find their website.  I used to be on their mailing list but haven't been in a coupls of years.
melissasgems
by Group Owner on Aug. 5, 2007 at 8:52 PM
I will definately look them up, maybe when my daughter goes to school in a couple of years, I can seriously consider doing it then.  Thanks a bunch
elinabelle
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 11:37 AM
Good luck with that.  Let me know what you decide and maybe that would be good incentive for me to take the plunge too.  We could both do it at the same time and share experiences.  How old is your daughter?  Max is in kind of preschool.  He has been 1/2 days since last year.  This year too, he will be 1/2 days. (still in preschool - he's 4)
melissasgems
by Group Owner on Aug. 13, 2007 at 2:21 PM
That would be cool to do it with a friend.  My daughter just turned 3 in May.  I dont send her to preschool yet, not sure if I want to yet. 
elinabelle
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 8:09 PM
Melissa,  I visited their website again today and sent off for their educational class schedule.  I don't know what route I want to go yet but it takes 6 mos to get a GG degree - it does not really help my current business; it would just be something to do to learn more.  What I reeally want to do is set stones but I don't have a workshop.  Do you anneal or epoxy?  Or both?  I am not certain of the process because I have never really used lost wax casting - just those clip ones and I don't think they look very professional.
melissasgems
by Group Owner on Sep. 5, 2007 at 2:54 PM
Well since i dont know what those two methods are that you mention, i will have to say neither.  I got a little book years ago when i bought some gemstones, that showed me how to hand set them myself, and it has been trial and error every since.  At first it was extremely difficult and alot of the pieces i made were not good for sale.  Now i can set most of them pretty quickly and have sold quite a few pieces.  Keep me posted on what you learn about the classes.  Oh yes the snap tites are great for earrings, but if you want nice rings they just dont look all that great.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)