Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Period of PURPLE Crying--Click for Babies!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:49 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 44 Total Views

Are you familiar with the "Period of PURPLE Crying" educational campaign? This is an educational program put together by the National Center for Shaken Baby Syndrome. After careful research, the NCSBS put together a video training that is now offered directly to parents (in participating hospitals) when their babies are born. It comes in the form of a DVD they can take home with them--to view multiple times, & to have others in their "support" circle view as well.  This video explains how crying that cannot be soothed is common & normal during the first 3-6 months after a baby is born. Then it explains that it is okay to put your baby down (in a safe location) & leave for a moment or two, so that you can regain your composure, & that having friends & family "on call" for these times can be very helpful--anything that will help prevent a child being shaken or in any other way abused because the caregiver has reached the "the end of their rope."

We, here in Oregon (& in Washington, North Carolina, B.C. & some other places), are now trying to increase public awareness of this problem, this education & the need to support parents during these times, by sponsoring a "Click for Babies" campaign to knit & crochet purple caps to go with these DVDs during the month of November.

I am the Project Leader for a 5-hospital system here in Oregon (1 hosp in Vanc., Washington) & I am coming to the CafeMom groups I am a part of to see if any of you would be interested in participating by knitting or crocheting baby hats. If you are, please send me a message here or to my email - sue.may52@gmail.com - to let me know & I will get the information to you that you will need on how to get them to us after you are done "clicking." I will share information about the program with everyone when our distribution period is over to let you know how it went.

Thank you all.

suemayonlinelove you sign

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)