Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEW AT HAVING POMS AN WAS WONDERING

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 350 Total Views

MY LITTLE GUY IS LOOSING HIS PUPPY FUR AN LOOKS SO MANGIE AN BAD HIS HAIR IS LONG AN SHORT ALL OVER I BRUSH HIM ALL THE TIME AN WAS WONDERING IF HTE SHORT HAIR IS THE NEW COAT COMING IN AN IF IT WILL GET LONGER? AN IF THIS IS NORMAL FOR THEM TO GO THOUGH A SO CALLED UGLY STAGE.  I GOT HIM FROM A SHELTER SO THEY ARE NOT SURE IF HE IS IS FULL POM BUT MY VET SAYS HE LOOKS LIKE A FULL ONE BUT NOT REALLY SURE.

R.I.P PRINCE RAMONE GONZALES 1- 11- 08 ~7- 16- 09  MOMMY'S LITTLE BABY I MISS AN LOVE YOU SO MUCH AN YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART. I WILL MISS YOU GOING EVERYWHERE WITH ME IN MY PURSE AN ALL THE KISSES YOU GAVE ME I WILL CHERICH EVERY MOMENT WE HAD TOGETHER MY LITTLE RAMONE R.I.P

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Danielle720
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Hahaha, I have had two poms from puppy age and what you are experiencing is what we call "The Chicken Leg Stage."  They lose that puppy fur and then the adult stuff comes in.  During the in-between phase, their fur looks thin and scraggly and their legs look AWEFULLY long.  Don't worry, it'll grow out into all its fluffy glory.  Keep up with the brushing for sure though.  It teaches them to be patient when getting groomed.  Some poms are more prone to matting, so having a dog that doesn't mind being groomed may prove beneficial later.

Camalotmom
by Group Admin on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:46 AM

It is normal for a Pom pup at around 6 months old to lose their coat, it is known as the "puppy uglies", some look really bad at this stage,while others hardly show that they are going through it. The fur will come back in and then around a year old he will "blow" his coat again, and then yearly after that, though not as bad as the puppy stage. By the time he is around 18 months he will have his full adult coat. There is really no telling at the puppy stage what his adult coat will look like even if he is a full blood Pom. I have a black and tan male that has a thick double coat, some breeders will call it a triple coat. Then I have a orange sable that has a thin flat coat, and does not even resemble a Pom (which I know he is since I was the breeder) both had thick full coats as pups.I have a sable and white female that at 7 months old looked like a Papillon because her fur around her ears stayed long while the rest thinned out so bad.   Just keep him brushed good and make sure that when he gets a bath that you dry him completly, and always brush the fur toward the head.   

MRSGONZALES
by New Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH LADIES FOR YOUR ADVICE

R.I.P PRINCE RAMONE GONZALES 1- 11- 08 ~7- 16- 09  MOMMY'S LITTLE BABY I MISS AN LOVE YOU SO MUCH AN YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART. I WILL MISS YOU GOING EVERYWHERE WITH ME IN MY PURSE AN ALL THE KISSES YOU GAVE ME I WILL CHERICH EVERY MOMENT WE HAD TOGETHER MY LITTLE RAMONE R.I.P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)