Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does my ferret bite everyone but me?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 1597 Total Views

I have 4 ferrets that are all rescued and one of them June bites my husband and any guests. She isnt agressive when she does it she thinks its great fun, its just a playful nip on the foot and will do her weasle war dance afterwards as the victim sits there in shock. She did bite me when she first came to us buit not anymore. She has even crawled up onto the couch and into the blankets to get a nip at someones foot. What is her deal??

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
adamsmama
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 7:48 PM

This is very typical ferret behavior. She just hasn't been nip-trained yet. Whenever she bites, pick her up say "no" firmly and put her back into her cage for a few minutes. If she's just mouthing people during play that's fine but if she's clamping down and causing pain, she needs to be reprimanded.

sugarfox72
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I have a "time out" cage for my fuzzys... Its just a small pet carrier with nothing inside... If they are digging at the carpet, nipping or any other behaviors I don't like thats where they go after being told NO. It works very well. I only leave them in there for 2-5min. I don't like using their cage as a punishment, I want them to love their cage. Anyway this has worked very well for my fuzzys.

Good luck! :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)