Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grounded?

Posted by on May. 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 152 Total Views
HI,
My daughter will be two and a half next month. She has entered a terrible hitting phase with other children and me and my husband. I don't know how it started, or how to stop it. My husband and I hardly ever spank, because she responds well to time-outs. That usually consists of 2 minutes in her room. Today she all-out pummeled the little girl next door while we were playing outside. I was so outraged and embarrassed. We came inside and I shut her in her room (she can't open doors yet) for over and hour. I explained to her that she was in big trouble and that she may as well lay down and take a nap because she wasn't coming out of her room for the rest of the afternoon. She cried, and screamed, and kicked the door, and then she quieted down and played, but I was debating how long I should have left her in there. Is grounding a 2 and a half year old pointless? I mean, she knows she was in trouble, but is it mean to leave her in her room for over an hour? I was just fed up and wanted her to get the point that we can't play with our friends if we hit them. Does anybody have a better solution for dealing with this? Or think it's mean that I grounded her?
by on May. 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
justmommy457
by on May. 2, 2008 at 1:38 AM
I have to say up front that I don't have a better way of dealing with it.  I have a 3 1/2yo girl and also a 2 1/2 yo girl.  I use the same treatment on both of them.  If they do something mean (hit, disrespect, or just plain have a mean attitude) they go in their room for five minutes to start.  If they don't calm down and accept their punishment they sometimes end up in there for over an hour.  My oldest has gotten somewhat used to it now.  She will leave the living room, tell me she's going to play by herself in her room for a little while.  Don't feel so bad about it.  If it is what is needed to discipline her where she understands right and wrong, I say don't fret.  I hope I helped even if just a wee bit!

Sondra    

Mom to three little hellions who are the love of my life!

Work at home Mom

Green Mom

KellyChristal
by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 2:31 PM

My 3 year old has a bad attitude and is yelling and hitting too.  I think putting them in their rooms alone is the best bc it teaches them that when they are bad they have to be alone.  IDK, I am struggling with teaching her to respect me.  She walks all over me.  I hate it!

abigail824
by Member on Nov. 24, 2008 at 9:35 PM

I think thats fine with the way you handled it.  Is it getting any better?  If she is still hitting people, I'd start taking things away like tv, toys or snacks.  She's at the age where she will understand that her actions have consequences.  Don't hit her yourself as punishment, so when she does hit you say "we don't hit in this house, and I will not tolerate it". Then take something away.  Give her favorite toy a "time out" or take away tv privilages.  I hope its gotten better for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)