Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone else?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2008 at 10:46 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 105 Total Views

I was wondering if anyone else has a problem getting their little one to bed.  Our routine used to be that either I or one of his siblings would read him a story, then hugs and kisses and then he'd go to bed.  And that was it.  Well, now, he doesn't sit to listen to the story and I fight with him for an hour before he stays in his bed and falls asleep.  I've done the supernanny thing and I put him to bed when he gets up the first time, tell him it's bedtime and put him back and then don't talk to him any other time he gets up, just put him to bed.  But like I said, this goes on for an hour.  Sometimes he says he has to peepee.  I can't deny that to him because the one time I don't let him go is the time he pees his pants (we've only been potty trained for 3 months).  Others it's just playing.  I've swatted his butt but to no avail.  Does anyone else have this problem or did?  And any suggestions on what I can do to break him out of it?  I dread bedtime as I'm too tired to go on like this and it gets so frustrating.

by on Sep. 16, 2008 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
abigail824
by Member on Sep. 27, 2008 at 11:35 PM

omg, it takes FOREVER to get dd to go to bed!  It used to be so easy for us- she was so easygoing and was like okay lets do bath, brush teeth, read, song and bedtime.  I think its their age- she is such a procrastinator.  If I want her in bed by 8, I have to start our routine by 6:30 at the latest.  Every night is the same- usually she's fine with her bath and likes that.  But after- boy- she wants to watch a show, she wants a drink, she wants a snack, she runs around and avoids us when its time to put pj's on, she's like "5 minutes, mom" every 5 minutes, doesn't want to brush her teeth- mostly she just goofs around and doesn't stay still.  We just stay consistant, do our count to three- time outs if we get to 3.  We also threaten- if you don't come brush your teeth you won't get a story and a song.  We've had to do it several times and its like the world is ending if we don't do a book and song.  But we stick to it- even when we calm her down, rock her (she likes to rock in her chair when she's upset) etc- we still don't read a book or do a song.  She is finally understanding consequences and we mean what we say.  We've always done that- so she knows we mean what we say.  Also- it helps to tell her that she just needs to stay in bed.  Its her choice if she doesn't want to actually sleep- but she just has to stay in her bed.  Shes usually fine once we actually get to bed- its just everything leading up to it that takes forever.

KellyChristal
by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM

In my house the kids rooms are upstairs and mine is down.  The stairway is so wide that a gate won't fit across it, so because of this I have a gate up at dd's room, and I also have a doorknob cover on her door inside her room.  This makes it impossible (so far) for her to leave her room once I have put her in bed.  At first she didn't like it, but she is used to it now, and goes straight to sleep.  I can't risk her getting out of her room at night and falling down the stairs, so this gives me peace of mind.  But it has also helped out with this "how do you get your child to stay in bed" problem.  Good luck

'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)