Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do I need to be concered?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2008 at 11:42 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 163 Total Views

My 3 year old can recognize his letters pretty well. He knows how to spell his name too. But I have noticed that when he writes his letters or tries to spell out his name, he writes right to left vs left to right. Is that normal? Plus he gets his d's and b's confused a lot. When do we start asking about dyslexia?

Kris Munson - 832-407-2930

No Sales, No Parties, No Risk

www.workathomeunited.com/krismunson

by on Dec. 12, 2008 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
abigail824
by Member on Dec. 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM

3 year olds don't normally know how to write, so I'd say he's actually doing pretty well if he's attempting to write.  Mine tries to write hers and only knows how to do a "y".  Just keep encouraging him, and make sure you show him the correct direction. 

lashbach
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2009 at 4:23 PM

You're doing great! Relax, don't worry about dyslexia at all at this point, with what your 3 year old can do! d's and b's are hard.  My oldest is 6 in K and there are plenty of kids in his class who still mix up those two.  Don't be surprised if it happens with 6 and 9, p and q, ect!  Your 3 year old sounds very smart!  Also, the left to right, right to left is something that will come more with time.  Just make sure when you read to him, you can track your finger with what you are reading so it eventually becomes instilled which way to read/write!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)