Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it time to get rid of naptime?!? UPdate!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2009 at 12:36 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 136 Total Views

my son is 3. He has always takin good naps, sometimes 3 or more hours in the afternoon. the last couple weeks his naps have been starting later, normally around 1, now they are getting close to 2:30 and he will sleep till almost 5. so that is a pretty descent nap  right... BUT he wakes up from his nap extremely cranky and refuses to use the potty when he wakes up and throws a tantrum about it.   ALSO recently he has been goin to bed alot later. used to be between 8and 8:30, now it 's 9 or later.  by they way, he wakes up in the morning shortly after 7.    do you think this is  a sign i should let him skip his nap? and just do an hour of quite/rest time or something?
i think tomorrow I will try it and see what happens. if he gets cranky in the evening because he doens't nap then i guess i wil know for sure.  

i also have a 3 month old so i hate to give up his naptime, but i also very much hate the cranky after nap thing he been doing and the fact he been goin to bed soo late. it's hard to get him in bed at a descent time when my 3 month old doens't want to go to sleep till after 9 too. won't complain there tho..... she usually sleeps all night till like 7.

UPDATE!!!!!

so it's been a a week or more since i made this post. not so much struggle anymore, but he is still a pill.   on tuesday we were out of town most the day and he took a very short nap..like 30 min on way home. did fine. so teh next day, i decided to try some quiet time instead of forcing a nap.  he sat quietly in his bed and read like half a book and fell asleep.
today, i did the same thing, and once he started gettin tired he laid back and i heard him hit his book on the wall by accident and i checked on him and he said he was ready to lay down. yesterday he slept till after 4:30 again...and was less cranky.. i think this seems to work better for him and iwill continue it till it doesn't seem to work well.  i think he needs that little bit of time before laying down to relax and calm himself. i like to read to him too, but sometimes he would rather read to himself(or look at pics, rather) so this is what we do now!

have your own simple home biz
http://www.stayhomewithcandles.com

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

by on Jan. 9, 2009 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
abigail824
by Member on Jan. 9, 2009 at 8:02 AM

This is exactly what happened with dd.  She was such a good napper- never protested, was always eager to go down right after lunch and usually slept 2-3 hrs.  Several months ago, she started either a. not sleeping during her nap, or b.complaining so much and not wanting to go down.  Her naps did get later and later as well, but then it resulted in going to sleep at night much later.  I"d keep her bedtime around 8, but she'd be such a pain- always coming out, playing in her room, and staying up until  11!  So I knew we either had to take a nap at like, 11 in the morning which she would not do since she wasn't tired, or skip the naps and go to bed early.  So we started skipping them, and when she'd go to bed at 8 she'd crash and sleep until her normal wake up time of 7.  It's stil hit or miss sometimes- sometimes she'll fall asleep on the couch around 5 or 6, and then be up all night.  Or she'll be cranky around 6 or 7- and thats when I put her to bed as early as 7:30.  But overall, the no-nap thing is working out fine, and we do "quiet time" in her room for an hour or so, so I can doze on the couch.  That way she'll kinda calm down and get her rest, and I can still rest as well. 

batsonsgirl
by Member on Jan. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM

yea that sounds alot like my situation. i put him down for nap a bit earlier today.like 1:30, so i plan on not letting him sleep past 4. and hoping to get him to bed tonight around 8 or 8:30. i'll try this for  afew days and if it don't work then we may have to try to skip it and do resttime instead see how that goes.

thanks!

have your own simple home biz
http://www.stayhomewithcandles.com

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

gr8day
by on Jan. 10, 2009 at 11:43 PM

My DS is in that too.  (his birthday is in May).  No problems napping until about a month ago, and now I go day to day.  If he is cranky, he naps, if he is well behaved, no nap.  I just like the fact that he goes to bed earlier when he does not nap. I really cherished the nap hours and got a lot done, so I am really going to miss them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN