Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Military Mom

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:17 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 364 Total Views

Hello everyone let me begin by saying my name is Tammy & My daughter is in Basic at FT Jackson SC she's in the Army National Guard, she's 17 yrs old. I miss her like crazy, we've really never been apart & my heart is breaking into but then I am so proud of her. While other teenage girls are enjoying their summer at the pool, dating, hanging out with friends she is preparing to defend her country if needed. She is doing the split-opt doing basic this summer & coming back in August for her Senior year of School & then next summer doing her AIT next summer. How do the other moms cope & any suggestions on what to do & what not to do?Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
d.sailors
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Hi!  I'm Dawn.  My daughter, Krystal, has been in the Army for 3 years now.  She took her basic at Fort Jackson too.  She wasn't as young as your daughter but it was still a big turning point in her life and I was and still am proud of her for making the decision that she did. 

She had ups and downs while she was in basic.  The biggest problem was that she couldn't talk to me any time that she wanted to because she couldn't have her mobile phone and the mail just couldn't be delivered fast enough!!  We missed each other like crazy but I gave her all the encouragement that I could when I did get to talk to her.  There were a lot of tears but both of us got through it. 

Just let your daughter know that you are there for her and you support her in her decision to serve her country.  I salute you and her.  Let her know that I thank her very much.

If you need someone to talk to or just blow off some steam, let me know.  I've been there and done that. 

Dawn

armyqtsmom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM

First of all Welcome....and tell your daughter Thank You! And a big thank you to you for being so concerned. Have to be honest it rips your heart out being an ARMY STRONG Mom but somehow you find the courage to go on.....My daughter has been to the Big Sand Box and met her now husband over there. He is a Marine and yet they are both so young!

My daughter is now going to be a Mommy and she is opting out of the ARMY. She was with the Military Police and was being trained with K-9. When Jenn found out she was pregnant she decided to opt out and eventually will continue with the Police K9.

Be thankful that your daughter is still going to be around. Keep an open mind about all that happens. It isn't an easy task going through all the first steps. Patience is the best thing to keep in mind. The laptop is a God send. It makes communicating handy. Phone calls with be close to nil for awhile. As time goes by if you have any questions. Just ask someone will always be on cafemom to help. In fact if you would like to stop by my page and become my friend please do so. I have alot of close friends that have their son and daughters in the military and we have stuck together like glue!  And been through up and downs like crazy!

Sincerely,

Shari

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)