Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Twins come from the father or the mother?

Posted by on May. 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 5439 Total Views

I'm curios because neither of my parents have twins in their families but my boyfriends does. So did he have an impact on the pregnancy in that way?

by on May. 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
twins2x
by Member on May. 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM

yeah he did. The way I was told/understand it is... if it's mom's side you are most likely to have fraternal and you most likely drop 2 eggs every month. If it's dad's side you are most likely to have identical... Are these your first kids?

mia242009
by New Member on May. 9, 2010 at 12:26 AM

yes they are im nervouse and excited

mommyto3rugrats
by New Member on May. 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Lets see if I can explain this in a way that makes sense!!

Fraternals: 2 eggs 2 sperm, not affected by your partner at all in the way of the eggs because no matter how much he would like to claim it he isnt going to make YOUR body release more than one egg at a time! This is passed on to you from your either side of your family.. Since you said your partner has multiples in his family this will affect YOUR children but not you..

Identicals: 1 egg 1sperm, not known what really causes the split in the egg so they cannot say for sure whether or not the male has any role in that or not.. So it is possible that he had something to do with that if they were indeed identicals.

My girls are identical, There are no twins on my side of the family and none on my DH's side anytime recently so that was a big suprise when we found out!! Either way, lots of fun and lots of work! my girls are going to be 6 in a month! so congrats and good luck with everything!~

TeachingTots
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:55 PM

If I am not mistaken it's from the mother's side and skips a generation.  So my grandmother had twins and so do my sister and I.  Also, fraternal twins are hereditary, identical twins are not.

Ms.JAS
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I've done research and talked to my doctor and the mother determines if they're twins and the father determines the sex.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)