Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pregnant with twin boys, preterm labor @ 25 weeks

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2008 at 1:07 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1436 Total Views

hi my name is tonya, i am new to this group. i am now 26 weeks pregnant with twins and i was hospitalized for a week with preterm labor, i was on magnesium sulfate to stop contractions and had 3 start up doses and they make you feel just nauseated, the third dose got to me and made me puke. i live in marshall MN, and they keep contimplating sending me to sioux falls, SD bc marshall doesnt deliver twins at that prematuraty level. luckily they found a turbutaline pill that moderates contractions enough to were i can go home i have to take this pill every 4 hours day & night, i have to set my alarm to wake up and take it other wise contractions will kick in with full flare. i also had 2 shots to fast mature the babies lungs incase of delivery. im hoping for the best and expecting the worst so that way i wont be dissapointed. i have a 2 year old that my mom is having to take care of bc obviously i cannot do so since im on strict bedrest and can only get up to use the restroom and my husband works all day.  im looking for any advice and positive feedback to help me get through this.

by on Sep. 6, 2008 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ginaonline
by on Sep. 6, 2008 at 10:01 PM

so sorry to hear hope everything eorks out for the best and both you and your twins are healthy, didn't experience that but I did deliver at 36 weeks just stay positive if you do deliver early, theres still a chance everything would be ok just have faith

jennamommy
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I started to bleed at 20 weeks and was in the hospital back and forth.  Everything turned out OK.  My boys are now 9 months old.  I delivered at 36 1/2 weeks.  I hope you hang in there longer and that you and the babies will be OK.  I know what you are going through.  Keep a positive outlook and I will keep you in my prayers.

ToNyA-LyNn
by New Member on Sep. 8, 2008 at 11:55 AM

thanks for the posts.. im am happy to announce that im 27 weeks today.. one week down and shooting for 32 weeks. so thats 5 more weeks.  i have an ultrasound and a doc appt tomorrow to make sure that my cervix has not shortened more. all is going well with the turbutaline pills.. some days i feel more contractions than others. other wise things are good minus the discomforts and stuff! =) every day counts now! im trying to stay positive and not get to worried about all the things that could go wrong. im hoping for the best and expecting the worse so that way i wont be dissapointed. its been over a week since i first went into labor so these couple weeks will even make a difference!

Things1and2
by New Member on Sep. 8, 2008 at 12:16 PM
listen to your doctors! every day matters! i was hospitalized for a month because i had preeclamsia and if they want to move you, MOVE. you want the best doctors for them. I had my babys just 5 weeks early and i went through the steroid shots too. i was so horrible i cried everyday demanding to leave but i do thank god i was at the hospital i was at. just take care of your self and listen to your doctors stay away from stress. good luck!
mamaburton
by New Member on Oct. 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I went through something very similar to what you are going through.  My twins tried to come at 23  28, 30, 31, 33 and I finally had them at 34 1/2 weeks which was a blessing considering all the scares we had.  I had all the same shots as you and had to take the pills every 4 hours which was a pain.  Luckily I was up about every 3 hours anyways to pee. I was even on a first name basis with almost all of the nurses on the labor and delivery floor by the time I had them. I was so happy to see on your page that you're still hanging in there.  My twins were a very healthy 3 lbs 12 oz and 4 lbs 4 oz when they were born.  Their lungs were developed because of the shots and the only reason they went to the NICU was because their weight was low and they had to develop their digestive systems.  They were only in the NICU for 12 days which was pretty impressive since they were 6 weeks early.  Sam and Grace are now 7 months old and they are developmentally the same as term 7 month olds and weigh a healthy 18.5 lbs.  Just remember that you are already a great mom because you have done so much to give your twins a great start at life by all the crap you have gone through over the last couple months to keep them in there as long as possible.  If you ever need anyone to talk to feel free to message me.

Skylasmom105
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Well when i was 26 weeks i 2 went into preterm labor. I was dialated to 3 and 75% effaced and still contracting. i was on the magnesium sulfate and got the shots, and in the end i made it to 36wks 3days. My babies were born and went home with me when i got to leave. I know that it doesnt help you much cause after that my contractions did stop, i only had to stay for 3 nights. But i would say that as long as u do what u are supposed to that everything should turn out ok. best of luck to u.

shondalou21
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM

hey tonya my name is shonda and i went threw the same thing with my set of twins 3 years ago. i started preterm labor my 16th week and actually had to deliver at 27 weeks. so i feel you on this. It really does suck but its all in the best interest of the babies. Mine were 27 weeks and they will be 3 in april and are doing great.  Its very hard to be in and out of hospitals and not always knowing whats going on but keep your chin up it will all work out for the best. if you have any questions just ask.

shonda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)