Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are 2 cribs a neccesity @ birth with twins??

Posted by   + Show Post

i was going to put my twin boys in the same crib for the first few months when i have them,. my home nurse however recently highly reccomended that the boys have their OWN crib bc of the risk of SIDS. i do have the baby support things that keep them on their back and they would be on their seperate sides.. we were going to wait a few months after the babies were born to buy the 2nd crib so that we could save on expenses b4 they are born but i believe we are going to go out and get a second crib b4 the lil guys get here.  just lookin for other moms info on wat you did with your twins and wat not..,

27 weeks, 5 days pregnant with twin boys :) and a 2 yr old princess!!

(`~"-..<ToNyA LyNn>..-~'`)

by on Sep. 13, 2008 at 1:38 PM
Replies (11-13):
2gemini
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2008 at 10:23 AM

When mine were born they were actaully put in the same crib at the hospital. the hospital has double sized ones just for this and asked me if that is what i would like. I highly doubt that if sharing a crib were to honestly increase the risk of sids like your nurse said, that they would carry special double cribs for twins and offer them without being asked. I thought that the hospital only had the single sized cribs so i didnt say anything. my thoughts were that they had shared my tummy for so many months that they were used to sharing a space and heavens knows that being born is enough of a shock. i thought that sharing a crib til they were of a size and age where they needed their own would help give them a deeper stronger bond with each other and that way they would never feel alone even at night. at least until they are a year old, give or take,  i would recommend it. Sharing a crib allowed my twins to build a stronger connection and helped to reduce the separation anxiety at bed time. MIne never accidentally hurt each other in their sleep until they were a little over a year old. And when they were tiny it was so cute because they always slept face to face and touching or holding hands. i used to stay up at night to listen to them coo to each other and then a lil down the road one would laugh then the other would and back and forth it was the most adorable thing. On top of that, once they got a couple of months older, when one would cry from being put to bed the other would put their hand on the first and coo. I just always made sure that when they were tiny they slept side by side the same way. The closest to a problem I had was one night while as my daughter started crying she had turned a lil catty cornered and started sucking on her brothers head thinking that it was a binky.. when i first considered it, i had worries about what was the right thing to do so i talked to the wic lady, my ob, and the pediatrician i decided on. my twins were perfectly healthy with no negative side effects.

regan513
by New Member on Dec. 23, 2008 at 1:12 AM

My girls were 5 months old when I slpit them up, only because they started kicking each other when they were sleeping, and waking each other up. I put them in separate cribs about a foot from each other. When they got a little bigger, the one crib was on wheels, and they would pull the wheeled crib to the other one, and crawl into the same one together to play. So much for naptime. They're 8 now, and still sleep together most of the time.

mommyto3rugrats
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Honestly I dont know if I believe the SIDS thing. If that was such a big concern they wouldnt put twins in the same beds in the hospital..

I had 2 cribs for my girls but only used 1. It was a complete waste of space to have the other! They shared a crib from day 1 and at 4yrs old we just got them to where they sleep in seperate beds!! I had to push their toddler beds together and take out the middles to make one big bed, until we got them a regular bed anyway!

My suggestion.. Get 1 crib, try it out for a little bit and if it works then wonderful, dont waste your money, but if it doesnt work you can always buy a 2nd crib, or until  you can buy a second crib you will always have a playpen you can set up as a temporary bed.

congrats and good luck!

Quoting ToNyA-LyNn:

i was going to put my twin boys in the same crib for the first few months when i have them,. my home nurse however recently highly reccomended that the boys have their OWN crib bc of the risk of SIDS. i do have the baby support things that keep them on their back and they would be on their seperate sides.. we were going to wait a few months after the babies were born to buy the 2nd crib so that we could save on expenses b4 they are born but i believe we are going to go out and get a second crib b4 the lil guys get here.  just lookin for other moms info on wat you did with your twins and wat not..,

27 weeks, 5 days pregnant with twin boys :) and a 2 yr old princess!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)