Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overwhelmed

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:28 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 300 Total Views
Hi. I am having a boy and a girl and I am only 19. I really dont have anyone to relate to about birthing twins because I am the only one I know that has ever had them. So does anyone have any advice for me?
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
juliemamajj
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:18 PM
Go to the library and check out every book you can. Rest as much as you can and get everything prepared as fast as you can. The farther along you get the less you can do, literally. I got stuck in the bathtub for an hour before my husband got home. The most important thing to remember after your twins are here is that the dishes and laundry can wait to be done, if you have two minutes for yourself, take them. Your sanity is the only thing that will keep you going. Also, it is a lot easier to get overwhelmed when you've got post partum. With my last child, I asked my Doctor about some meds while I was still in the hospital, and not one person made me feel bad about it. Also, I know Zoloft you can breast feed on. My twins are also boy girl. It is a very different connection than twins of the same sex. Mine are very much like a married couple. He is the protector, and she is the brains. He'll splash in a puddle, and she'll tell him to pull up his sleeves. They are now 4 and 1/2 and their beds are actually right next to each other. Most of the time, they cuddle in one. For the first year I had them in the same crib, then two ctibs but i bolted them together so they could still touch each other, it worked really well.

Julie
harmbill
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 4:10 AM
   Congratulations! Having twins is wonderful, but it can be a lot of work. Do you have a good support system of people around you? Definitely check out every book your local library has about twins, pregnancy & birth.The more you know the less frightening it will be. If your library doesn't have a good selection, get the librarian to help you get books from another library on an interlibrary loan.
   Get as much rest as you can. Get everything you need for the baby done early. I was on bed rest from 6 months on. Plus I delivered a month early. I was totally unprepared. I only used one crib for my twins. They are 29 months & still sleep together. Twins are usually soothed by the others presence. If you can get two bouncy seats &/or swings so you have somewhere besides the crib to put them. Look for baby items at garage sale if you can, it will save you a bundle. Start stocking up on diapers now or put aside the money. We opened a special savings account & put $20 in every paycheck.
    Is there a mom of multiples group in your area? This would be a great support system for you if there is. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you keep both babies on the same schedule: feed them at the same time, change them at the same time, & put them to sleep at the same time. If you need any more advice just ask.

DragonLady2007
by Group Owner on Aug. 8, 2007 at 12:49 AM
Take it one day at a time and eat lots of protein and things with iron in it... Just take care of yourself. You'll be pretty overwhelmed at first but it does get better. you can prop bottles up and swaddle them with a binky to make them go to sleep easier. make sure that when you swaddle them that there arms are tucked in too and can't move around a whole lot. If you have any questions your more than welcom to e mail me with any questions you have. I have a pair of identical twin girls and i am 19 years old.
scubachic401
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2007 at 11:33 PM
Hi my name is Cindi, I was actually the same age when I had my twins, thier boy and girl as well and now 19 months old. What really helped me when I had the twins was people to help. Even with my husband and his mom and brothers there helping out I was still exhausted. You're especially going to need the extra help if you have a c-section. I wasn't able to walk up the stairs or get up out of a chair by myself for 2 weeks. I wish you the best of luck though, it's definitely worth it. BTW stock up on LOTS of diapers.
mommyofTWINS930
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Hi  im 18 now and i became a mother of twin girls at 17!  Im not going to lie to u at times it is hard and at times overwhelming and u think u cant do it anymore but trust me it only gets better! like everyone would tell me god wouldn't bless u with twins if he didn't thnk u could handle it!  Just be calm and know its all worth it!! u didnt get one u got 2 which  may me double the diapers and double the spending but it also means double the love and laughter !! ur going to have a great time with ur twins !!

TIFFANY03HILLEY
by New Member on Oct. 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL. I'M 19 WITH A THREE YR OLD AND 19 WEEKS PREGNANT WITH TWINS! BUT I TOOK SOME TIME TO READ ABOUT PREMATURE LABOR AND BIRTHING, TALKED TO SOME MOMS ON HERE WITH TWINS AND NOW, ME AND MY HUSBAND ARE SUPER EXCITED TO BE THE SOON TO BE PARENTS OF TWINS. WOW IT STILL AMAZES ME.                -TIFFANY

Evolution523
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2007 at 1:30 AM
I often think if it would of been helpful to go to birthing classes or not.  I didn't go.  I am not sure why either.  My cousins are twins, so at least I had some experience in my family.  I was 22 when I had my unplanned twins and was scared and alone.  I don't really think I thought about how they were going to come out until I was closer to having them then i got nervous.  When I went into the hospital, i was there 12 hours before giving birth.  It was pretty much just a blur.  But, the hospital staff was amazing.  I was surely lucky!  They helped with everything, especially making you relax!  That is the main thing!  I was supposed to have one naturally and one by C-section, but I ended up having both vaginally.  The second twin turned after the first came out.  I admit, I freaked when baby A came out, but that lapse of 8 minutes I don't even remember because all I was concerned about was the first baby and where they took her.  I don't even remeber pushing and she came.  It was one of the best moments of my life!  The next best was when i got to hold them!  Take it all in and treasure it!  My twins are 4 now and are so independent.  They don't stay needy for long and I miss that.   
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)