Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kingergarden

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 836 Total Views

I was just wondering if everyone's kids will be going to kindergarden next year? my son's teachers think he should go through a 5 day preschool next year and wait on kindergarden, because the dr says he has adhd.. He has trouble focusing, and doesnt want to write unless he is in the mood, which is not often. Any feedback would be great..

by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofana82
by Group Admin on Feb. 28, 2010 at 8:12 AM

We just had Ana's progress report last month and I was NOT happy at what I was reading! I was freaking out! SO, we had a parent-teacher conference, MY FIRST, LOL, and we sat and talked about it. Ms. Stacy, her teacher, says she is just NOW showing signs of being ready for 4k. After much talking about it all we thought that maybe she should stay in 4k for another year. BUT that night, ironically, we had open house at the school where she would attend Kindergarten. It was VERY overwhelming for her and myself. She is smart in some areas, like the arts and crafts. Ms. Stacy says she is the best cutter and paster she has! LOL And then like the colors and shapes and such, she knows the answer but is timid in saying it. She lacks the confidence. Which we could clearly see the night at open house. There were games for the children and you could see that other kids were just spouting out the answer, and Ana had to think about it first. Besides my Ana is so much smaller than everyone else we just decided that another year in 4k would be good for her. My fear if I pushed her to be ready for Kindergarden is that it would catch up with her in later years and maybe have to struggle through high school! I can't have that! That was hard enough for me! Hated English! Anyway, so yeah, we are going to hold back Ana, which works out anyway, since we are moving to Jacksonville shortly after this third baby gets here which will be around September, that way she woudl only be missing a few weeks at most of 4k and not Kindergarden.  On a side note, my son's birthday is in July and we have already decided that even though technically he should go into 3k, because boys mature slower than girls we are going to put him in 2k when we move. Good Luck with your decision. I really fought about this with myself wondering if I was doing the right thing, but I had many friends assure me they did this and their child is flourishing now becuase they know the answer and have the courage to say it!

BSanchez45
by Member on Mar. 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I agree with momofana82 but I wouldn't say you are "holding your child back" necessarily.  I think delaying academics in children under 7 is a good thing for most kids.  Why is there such a rush to get kids to read and write?  What ends up happening in some cases is that they don't like learning and it will definitely show in later years.  Slow down.  Let kids be kids.  There is nothing wrong with that.  I'm considering having my daughter attend a Waldorf school.  They believe a child isn't ready for 1st grade until they are close to 7 so my daughter would not be going to 1st grade for another two years anyway.  I'm not sure what we're doing for her this coming September.  (The Waldorf school is so expensive!)  I do know that I think it would do her some good to delay formal academic learning for at least another year.  She still needs to learn through play and the public kinder class will not allow for that.  They are expected to read when they enter 1st grade which I'm not in agreement with for her age.

JahnaeLong
by Group Owner on Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

BSanchez4, I've never heard of a Waldorf School. But that's what we're going to do wait until she's 7 to start 1st grade so Kindergarten next year she'll be 6. She just at this point can't sit still and listen.

JahnaeLong
by Group Owner on Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Oh whoops, just to clarify, this is momofana82. I made a new screenname becuase I have a second child and am pregnant and my old name mentioned just Ana. LOL

CJsMommy622
by Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Cory is in a full day intensive special ed preschool right now (diagnosed with PDD-NOS and ADHD), so we are waiting for his teachers kindergarten readiness evaluation before we make the final decision. I don't expect him to be ready for a mainstream kindergarten room, but if his teachers feel he is ready to spend part of the day in one, then we may send him. I know the decision is ultimately ours, but we will definitely consider his teachers opinions since they are with him 5 days a week. Is your son in a special ed program? I don't think ADHD is a reason to hold him back if that's the only reason, has he received services through your school system or privately? If you haven't already done so have him evaluated through the school and have an IEP written up for him. My son's OT teacher has done wonders for him, I love his school! His ADHD is pretty bad and they've used some good techniques with him. Message me if you have any questions, we've been dealing with EI and Special Ed for... well... almost his whole life lol :-)

bribren
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Scarlet will be in kindergarten next year although I don't think she is ready. She has apraxia and sensory processing disorder so it is hard for her to focus and you can't understand her speech. Weird things freak her out. She is in a preschool for special needs. The teachers think she is ready but I'm not so sure. She will be in special ed which hopefully will help her get through the year but we will see. I worry that it will cause more damage for her to go to kinder next year but all of her therapist think she can handle it. I feel like it should be my decision and not the early education special ed department. I hope to have their decision over turned were she will be able to go to prek for one more year. I mean she has made a lot of progress this year and I think if she had another year she wouldn't be so behind the other students.

skymuffin
by Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM

We are sending our daughter next year but we have a son who may have adhd and he's 3 and we are not going to send him to school until he's 5 going on six. Lots of boys in my daughter's class just turned 5 and are going to go to kindergarden next year. 

alaskansglmom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I am going to send my daughter. She already knows how to read, spell, write her name, knows her phone number....even though she is wild she will still do good in school.

MamaChanny
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2010 at 4:39 PM

My son will be going.  He's in a pre-k program at our public school here this year, and seems to be doing just fine.  I put him in pre-k to get him the socialization I felt he needed, plus there is the added bonus of practicing what he will be doing next year, forming lines, following directions, etc.  He has a hard time focusing himself, but personally I think that comes with the age, he will be 5 in June.

asgusta
by Member on May. 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

we just recently have had his digonosed and he had been on meds for almost 2 months, so it is hard to tell but today we got the kindergarten overall score and they gave him a -1, how can a child that knows as much as mine get a -1 we are going to the school tommorow to talk to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)