Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was just wondering if everyone's kids will be going to kindergarden next year? my son's teachers think he should go through a 5 day preschool next year and wait on kindergarden, because the dr says he has adhd.. He has trouble focusing, and doesnt want to write unless he is in the mood, which is not often. Any feedback would be great..

by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM
Replies (11-14):
CJsMommy622
by Member on May. 20, 2010 at 4:25 AM

What is a -1? Is this what they do at kindergarten screening? We have ours next week, but we already know my son is being place in full day kindergarten. We have a great plan for him next year (he has an IEP), and will have an aide with him for most of the day, as well as be pulled out of the classroom whenever needed. My son is PDD-NOS and ADHD (Combined Type), so he is a handful but with the right help has the potential to do great. His skills are above average which is the main reason we are sending him to kindergarten, but he needs constant help and breaks throughout the day. He's had 2 years of Intensive full day Special Ed Pre-K and another year won't do anything for him academically. If your son has trouble with focusing that it becomes a problem in school, maybe you could look into having a school evaluation to have him potentially placed on an IEP or 504 Plan (if he doesn't already).

Quoting asgusta:

I was just wondering if everyone's kids will be going to kindergarden next year? my son's teachers think he should go through a 5 day preschool next year and wait on kindergarden, because the dr says he has adhd.. He has trouble focusing, and doesnt want to write unless he is in the mood, which is not often. Any feedback would be great..

asgusta
by Member on Jun. 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

When i went to the Elementry School where he will be going, they strongly suggested that i wait another year, that he is NOT ready for Kindergarten. His Teachers at the Preschool he went this last year agreed he is starting to do better, but he just isn't at the level where they believe he will do good. I will just be having him go to the 5 day preschool at the same preschool this next year and i think it will be a great benefit for him, since over 1/2 the kids in his class and 1/2 the kids in the other class will be doing the 5 day next year i dont feel so bad, knowing my son will not be the only 5 year old to not be going to Kindergarten Next year..

ArmyWife0105
by on Jul. 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Emma will be in kindergarten. She was still struggling a little at the end of pre-k but I am going to continue working with her. Her pre-k teacher had her doing homework the last semester of school.twin girlsin love

luckycharm04
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2010 at 10:07 PM

my stepdaughter and son will both be starting kindegarden this fall, unless the school tells me no on my son. I think he is ready, he might be a little excited for a few days though, I  tried putting him in pre-k at a headstart and he was hit by a teacher there, so I pulled him out and he didnt go to pre-k, but I work with him pretty much everyday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)